2007 Merc Mountaineer Problem --ABS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03   #1 (permalink)

2007 Merc Mountaineer Problem --ABS

Gents,

I'm having an issue with my ABS on my 2007, v6, AWD Merc Mountaineer. I'll describe it to the best of my ability.

Back in Oct I noticed something different with the way my vehicle "felt". I took it in. They told me the brakes. I had them replaced. Still had that "feeling" that something was different. In early Dec my wife could finally notice the vibration I was feeling. Took it in, and they said everything was ok. It kept getting more noticable. It was a grinding feeling when I was driving. Started out as a thump thump thump type feeling (very light) and moved into a continuous feeling. When I'm driving and turn the wheel to the right though, the feeling goes away.

Well, last night I'm taking the family out to a campground for a BBQ and my ABS and traction control light comes on. We eat, and when we go to leave, the vehicle can go no further than 15ft before the ABS kicks in and stops the car. Attempted to drive in forward 5 or 6 times before parking it. So, had to catch a ride home with friends.

I live in remote Alaska with no access to a dealer. The local mechanics aren't very good at all.

A few questions:

What's wrong with it and what do I need to fix it?

Any way I can disable the ABS so I can go bring it home? Or do I need a tow?

Thank You.
270ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2007 Merc Mountaineer Problem --ABS

Fuse 6 and 33 under the hood control the ABS but I doubt that's going to help. I'd raise it up and try to turn the wheels. Have you tried turning the traction control off with the switch?
Old 02-10-2013, 17:40   #3 (permalink)

Number 6 fuse did it for me. At least it got me to the mechanics shop. I tried again before pulling the fuse and the ABS would activate when I hit 5mph. Weird. Pulling the fuse got rid of that problem. Hopefully the mechanic can sort things out. Was nice not having to get a tow.

Thanks.
270ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad to hear you got it moving. Keep us informed as to what fixes it.
Old 02-17-2013, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
canuck

I'll guess that the problem lies with the ABS system itself. The brake light comes on, along with the ABS light only when a fault occurs within the ABS system. If the brake system had no fluid, or encountered another problem that is non-ABS related, the ABS light would not illuminate.

Depending on the weather and road conditions, a sticky piston within the brake caliper can cause grief, and illuminate both brake indicator lights on the dash. Another issue, although rare, could involve the brake booster filling up with enough fluid that can cause a variation of pressure. A member on a Dodge forum drained 1/3 pint of fluid out of the booster and installed a drain valve from an old air compressor as it's a PITA to remove to reach the bottom of the booster.

To start cheap, a brake fluid flush can do wonders, especially in areas with colder than usual climate. Dirt and crap eventually finds its way down the brake lines to the caliper. Cold temps greatly reduce fluid flow as the brake fluid is not circulated like other fluids are in the vehicle. Power steering fluid should also be checked regularly, and changed every 60-70K miles. My older GMC 2500 would rotate the front ABS side to side during the summer. I thought it was morning moisture on the rotors but then it got worse and happened while driving out of town. I had a brake fluid flush and it solved the problem. Just some food for thought.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator