2011 Explorer Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 15:34   #1 (permalink)

2011 Explorer Issues

Hey all I'm a newbie to this forum and hadn't thought of joining until today when my wife had her first issue with her 2011 Explorer. Luckily I was in the vehicle and witnessed exactly what happened and was able to immediately help. While driving, the vehicle suddenly lost power steering and threw codes that read "Power Steering Assist Fault" and immediately followed with "Terrain Management System Fault".

I had to help her steer the Explorer to the side of the road (she's a little woman) where we then traded places. This really upset us because she almost lost control of the vehicle while attempting to navigate the turn that we had driven into while losing power. Once I was in the driver's seat, I was able to see what was going on and noticed again, no power steering. I then turned the vehicle off, let it sit for a minute, opened the door, closed it, and started the vehicle. There were no codes and we had power steering and options for the terrain management system. Once under way, again, the vehicle repeated the earlier events just seconds later. I was shocked at how the power steering was completely gone and how much effort it took for me to wrestle the vehicle to the side of the road.

At this point, I no longer felt safe driving our Explorer and limped it home. I did some quick online searches to see if this had happened to anybody else and immediately read several articles referencing this exact incident... but no recall! I read one thread in depth where another consumer paid almost $2k to have Ford make the repairs. I about had a heart attack...

I called the local dealership and have scheduled an appointment for Monday morning for them to analyze the situation. I'm scared to death that I will be recieving a phone call with a $2k pricetag attached to fix the problem.

Has anybody else experienced this???
AgTires4295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2011 Explorer Issues

Is the car not still under warranty by chance ? Can be very frightening when that happens .

PS
Welcome to the forums .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 15:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcoming We didnt opt for the extended warranty and its just outside of the factory warranty.
Old 08-09-2013, 16:11   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

If it's just out of warranty and has been serviced as per manufacturers schedule they should make some contribution at least towards repair cost if not the whole bill as a company gesture of good faith .I've done it often in the past with different franchise /dealerships by submitting an abnormal warranty claim which was accepted by the manufacturers . Worth pursuing , dependant on the phone call you receive after checking , fingers crossed .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 17:57   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Nothing common I've seen. Been pretty reliable. It's unfortunate but things break. Sometimes the dealer can help but usually save that assistance for good customers. If you a regular at the local dealer they may be able to assist out of warranty. Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Welcome to the Forums! It's only 2 years old, how many miles?
Old 08-09-2013, 21:37   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. The wife has 45k on the odometer. Here are the searches I had done earlier:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Powe...+ford+explorer

https://www.google.com/search?q=Powe...+ford+explorer

(Specifically, my experience matches these: http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...lorer/Steering)

I'm hoping because of the commonality of these instances, it will trigger a recall. Will definitely be keeping everybody posted on what happens on Monday. Off to find a rental
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55   #8 (permalink)

Well I checked into the warranty details since I couldnt remember what we had purchased and its a 3 year or 36k miles warranty. Needles to say we are 9k miles out of warranty. The verdict just came in from Ford: It needs a new steering gear at the cost of $2020

I'm praying to God for a recall since there are so many of us out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator