4.0L SOHC cold start very rough..dies. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 11:52   #1 (permalink)
'99 ExplorerSport 4LSOHC

cool 4.0L SOHC cold start very rough..dies.

Last year (2003) my '99 4L SOHC Explorer Sport began having problems when the outside temperature was cold...the thing would be very hard to keep running when started cold. After it was running for a while, it would be fine. This year (2004) it's doing the same thing. Both times, the check engine lite came on listing Right and Left "Lean." Last year, my mechanic replaced EGR valve and other stuff...it ran a little better, but seems like it didn't fix the problem. Does this sound like an intake manifold leak? I was reading the Haynes Repair manual...looks like these engines have a plastic manifold. Please give me some help w/ this repair job.
Cabbie
Cabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
2000 Explorer 4.0L 4x4

Re: 4.0L SOHC cold start very rough..dies.

I had a similar problem in my explorer, hard to start in cold, wet, weather had rough idle then would die out. I did some searching online and found the the issue was caused by the Idle Air Control valve. It was easy enough to find, probably just ahead of the throttle body in you vehicle, (double check in your repair manual). It only costs about $60 for the new part, or for a quick fix, take it off and spray it down with carb cleaner. Make sure it is dry before re-installing it, it is and electrical part. Hope this helps, good luck.
Dmc237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 18:21   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbie
Last year (2003) my '99 4L SOHC Explorer Sport began having problems when the outside temperature was cold...the thing would be very hard to keep running when started cold. After it was running for a while, it would be fine. This year (2004) it's doing the same thing. Both times, the check engine lite came on listing Right and Left "Lean." Last year, my mechanic replaced EGR valve and other stuff...it ran a little better, but seems like it didn't fix the problem. Does this sound like an intake manifold leak? I was reading the Haynes Repair manual...looks like these engines have a plastic manifold. Please give me some help w/ this repair job.
Cabbie
replace upper & lower intake gaskets. This should fix it.
Duard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 14:15   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem. Try replaceing upper & lower intake gaskets
Duard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:23   #5 (permalink)

ICV is the prob....does it stall when pulling up to lights??
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator