4th Generation Explorer 4WD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 19:29   #1 (permalink)

4th Generation Explorer 4WD

I have just a general question. 2006 to current Explorers equipped with Four Wheel Drive have three buttons - 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High and 4x4 Low.

From what I hear (which could be wrong), in "4x4 Auto" the vehicle's power and torque (P/T) distribution is a 90/10 rear/front split, so it's never really turned off - no dedicated 2 wheel mode. In "4x4 High", the distribution is 50/50 rear/front.

My question is this:

Since the Four Wheel Drive is never turned off and the "4x4 Auto" setting is for most driving conditions, can "4x4 High" be used for most driving conditions too (just a changed (P/T) distribution setting - as more of an "all-wheel" setup)? ..Or will the high speeds (b/t 50 mph and 90 mph) burn out the four wheel drive while in "high" mode??

Does anyone know the answer to this?
LeFurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4th Generation Explorer 4WD

I checked into something similiar to what your asking and my local Ford Dealer said it will burn out your 4 wheel drive system. They even went as far as giving me price to fix the 4wheel drive without me asking. I took that as a signal to NOT alter anything.
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 20:14   #3 (permalink)

Alright, Thanks.
LeFurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
canuck

locking the 4x4 system in either HI or LOW mode locks the axles together and will bind the gears if you drive on anything but soft ground! You'll be able to drive a bit with it on (ie snow covered road), but be sure to keep the wheels straight to avoid any damage. On part time 4wd the torque split is at least 30% front and 70% rear on ANY model unless it has the option to user select the percentage rates on some premium SUV's.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator