4x4 not working on 2002 Ford Explorer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

Smile 4x4 not working on 2002 Ford Explorer

We recently had a problem with the 4x4 on our 02 Explorer not working or engaging - after searching the web and other forum's we found others having the same problem - it was during one of those searches that I came across some who found the problem to be with the 4x4 Control Module - its located behind the glove box and in front of the blower motor - seems like there may have been a defect in the original control module - Not knowing for sure if this was the problem I called Ford only to be told a new one would have to be ordered and would cost $339.00 - being the frugal person I am I started to shop around - by this point I had a "brilliant" idea, what about calling a auto salvage yard - being an 02 they must have one laying around - well let me get to the point before I "lose" you....the salvage yard had an 02 4x4 explorer and guess what? it had the control module still in it - however the part number was for a "newer" control module...Ford Part Number: 1L24-7H473-AH - the salvage yard let me try it before buying it and it worked! - my original ford part number for the controller was...1L24-7H473-AF - so let me conclude by saying my mechanic told me it was most likely the electronic shift motor - boy was I glad I found some good information on the web and by reading what others are experiencing and saying - I'm taking the time to write this to repay the person who wrote about there problem and solution - hoping it will help others and save them time and some money!
gvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 20:46   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 4x4 not working on 2002 Ford Explorer

Congrats on the find! Salvage yards can come in real handy. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a great site to find nearly any part you can think of, even locally!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: 4x4 not working on 2002 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvera View Post
We recently had a problem with the 4x4 on our 02 Explorer not working or engaging - after searching the web and other forum's we found others having the same problem - it was during one of those searches that I came across some who found the problem to be with the 4x4 Control Module - its located behind the glove box and in front of the blower motor - seems like there may have been a defect in the original control module - Not knowing for sure if this was the problem I called Ford only to be told a new one would have to be ordered and would cost $339.00 - being the frugal person I am I started to shop around - by this point I had a "brilliant" idea, what about calling a auto salvage yard - being an 02 they must have one laying around - well let me get to the point before I "lose" you....the salvage yard had an 02 4x4 explorer and guess what? it had the control module still in it - however the part number was for a "newer" control module...Ford Part Number: 1L24-7H473-AH - the salvage yard let me try it before buying it and it worked! - my original ford part number for the controller was...1L24-7H473-AF - so let me conclude by saying my mechanic told me it was most likely the electronic shift motor - boy was I glad I found some good information on the web and by reading what others are experiencing and saying - I'm taking the time to write this to repay the person who wrote about there problem and solution - hoping it will help others and save them time and some money!
Forgot to mention the cost including tax was $53.00 - the experience and trill of fixing it myself....priceless!
gvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 4x4 not working on 2002 Ford Explorer

Good price!!!

I prefer doing my own work whenever possible and time permits. It's not only the lower cost, but knowing that if anything goes wrong I have no one to blame but myself. So far, everything I've done, from head gaskets to brakes and axle swaps have taken time to do, but it's the satisfaction of knowing that it was done as good as could be expected.

I use Amsoil motor oil and after the media had issued a problem with a couple local garages taking customers product and putting in cheap oil instead, I began doing my own work. One guy in particular sued a garage as he had wanted them to install Royal Purple oil that he purchased. It's a full synthetic that lasts up to 15, 000miles. Anyway, this customer drove 10K and sent an oil sample in for testing. Turns out that the oil was cheap non synthetic and was degraded so badly that it should have been changed 2K ago. I'd be fumin' too!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator