92 Explorer conversion to Jurassic Park Car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 17:56   #1 (permalink)

92 Explorer conversion to Jurassic Park Car

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums but not new to Ford, I don't own one at the moment but I'm hoping to change that very soon.

Here's the plan... I want to purchase a 92 Ford Explorer XLT so I can convert it to the Jurassic Park car from the first movie. This has always been a dream of mine (lame huh?) lol

So here is what I want to know: I did a search but didn't find anything and was wondering if anyone has attempted this? What is the chassis number for a 92 Explorer XLT? I'm hoping someone has some input so I can ask how much the paint job cost, cutting the roof for the plexiglass sunroof and what was used for the red cover on the roof behind the plexiglass. Any information would be well appreciated! thanks guys!
JPCR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 92 Explorer conversion to Jurassic Park Car

That would definitely be an interesting job. If all you really want is something similar to the plexiglass roof then why not buy a used LandRover LR3/Discovery? They come with the roof ports, albeit you'd have to do some modifications. A vehicle wrap, depending upon the complexity and amount of cuts can run $2-4K depending on the shop. If you paint the colours on yourself and them seal it, it won't look as professional but will only cost around $500 plus your time. I had a site booked in my old browser about custom sunroofs and such. If I find it I'll be sure to post it up, but I'm almost sure that the JP Explorer was a one off item custom designed. Essentially, if you have a big budget then anything can be possible. The older platforms are also the easier ones to modify in my opinion.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 22:18   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
That would definitely be an interesting job. If all you really want is something similar to the plexiglass roof then why not buy a used LandRover LR3/Discovery? They come with the roof ports, albeit you'd have to do some modifications. A vehicle wrap, depending upon the complexity and amount of cuts can run $2-4K depending on the shop. If you paint the colours on yourself and them seal it, it won't look as professional but will only cost around $500 plus your time. I had a site booked in my old browser about custom sunroofs and such. If I find it I'll be sure to post it up, but I'm almost sure that the JP Explorer was a one off item custom designed. Essentially, if you have a big budget then anything can be possible. The older platforms are also the easier ones to modify in my opinion.
Yeah I think it'll be a fun project and after talking it over with a fabricator it won't be that hard of a job at all. I can only do it with an Explorer or else it just wouldn't be right lol Although I am a huge fan of the land rovers!

The only tough things to do on the car is cutting the roof, forming the plexiglass and reinforcing the roof. The paint job will not be difficult at all and thankfully where it says "Jurassic Park" with the logo it's a sticker! Other than that it's a bunch of little things like the bush guard which is mounted on the bumper rather than the frame, the seats which are custom made and just stuff like that. I'm probably looking at 6-7k for everything. But it'll be worth it and I'm so excited!

If you can find that link, that would be very much appreciated! Thanks for the input/post! I was starting to loose hope with this forum!
JPCR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
canuck

The roof will definitely be the most difficult. On the bright side, older Explorers can be had for a dime a dozen, it's just trying to find one that isn't in too bad shape to work on.

I had bought a '97 (this is back in '02) Lincoln Town Car from an uncle of mine and was planning to extend it and add it into the limo fleet. I later found out that to be eligible for a conversion the underbody had to have none, to very minimal rust or no one would cut the frame to extend it. I was a bit ticked but drove the piss out of the car for a year until I sold it for the same price I had bought it for! I know you don't plan to extend the Exp. but I'd try to find a southern US vehicle to do the work on.

As for slow responses, it does happen on here as the majority of the knowledgeable people, or those willing to give their opinion on a matter work full time. For me, family and my business come before the forums, but if I have some free time, I'll pop on and see who's trying to do what. It's getting better as more people join that have a background in auto tech, fabrication and other trades to give others a hand. The more complicated the problem someone has, generally the longer the response. I'm at a miss here, as well, why no one else has suggested anything in regards to your project. Perhaps they all think you're nuts??
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator