92 Explorer opinions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 06:15   #1 (permalink)

92 Explorer opinions

Hello,

First time i have been on this forum and its also the first time i have ever owned a ford, but to make things short here, the situation is this, i have a opportunity to get a 92 explorer for next to nothing, its in somewhat decent shape considering rust, it runs great except for the slight slip of the tranny.
IS IT WORTH IT?
I have been hearing alot lately about staying away from them cause of the tranny problems, whats all your opinions?

Thank you,

Rob
Robby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: 92 Explorer opinions

personally i dont like the explorers but if you are into riding bucking broncos or farm animals i say give it a try for a few months.
you can always resell at a later date !

yes there are a few problems with some of the tranny's but i wouldnt say that it should steer you away

once the slipping problem is fixed you should be in good shape.
my biggest concern would be how high is the milage and that along with how poorly they ride would determine my decision.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:48   #3 (permalink)

Anyone else have any other opinions or not?

Thanks

Rob
Robby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 14:29   #4 (permalink)

First i'd like to say the explorer is a nice vehicle if in good shape, The later95/6 models are much improved over the first models though, I've been waiting years for someone to ask me my opinion on the early explorers.
The transmission being only one of there problems.
As 351w, already mentioned, they dont drive good, they had frame problems that just seemed to cause vibrations harshness, and all sorts of probs. In the trade we call them the "exploder" with the 4.0leaker engine.
Every gasket on the engine is prone to leakage, valve covers, intakes, oilpan, rearmain cap and seal, possibly timing chain cover as well.
Heads do crack on the models up to 92, look underneath the valve covers at the right side of either head for that.
Radius arm bushings are usually worn, front balljoints prematurely rust then wear.
engine mounts ground out, i'll stop there.
These mostly were ford tsb's or recalls done on thousands of vehicles. Ford changed the tsb on the oil leaks several times, telling techs to use different sealers, and updated parts. If you get a engine that doesnt leak consider yourself lucky.
Listen for lower end noise too, caused by carbon on squish pads thanks to their feeble first intake gasket.
In 95 there were many explorers in the shop getting engine work done, i was so sick of resealing 4.0 engines that i took a year off and went to australia.
If the tranny is already slipping dont change the fluid at this time, it could be full of friction material that is still helping even though its not in the clutches.
Dont worry when you go to reseal the oil pan you will have to either take the tranny out, or engine to remove the pan, at that time you can have someone do the trans as well. Sorry, but i had to express myself, however i miss doing the radius arm bushings, they were a real moneymaker.
drof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator