95 Cam Synchro/Crank Angle Sensor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 14:04   #1 (permalink)
"Ford Newbie"

95 Cam Synchro/Crank Angle Sensor

Ok so here goes. I recently purchases a 95 Explorer Sport in real good condition. 55,000 on a Recent Ford Rebuild and tranny. I'm driving down the highway one day and bang, what sounds like a lifter tap appears. Low and behold it got worse driving back and it turned out to be a Champion plug end came out in the cylinder....bad results. So to make a long story short I rebuild it and putting the motor back in i snapped...you guessed it, the sensor in the post name.
So after 3 days of wrong parts and getting pissed off, I find out that this sensor and assembly in general was only used for a few months and discontinued. Not made anymore and its costly to get one if u can, around 200.00 dollars as u have to buy the whole shaft and assembly not just the sensor. So anyways, to get to my question, is the another shaft from another year that takes the css408 cam sensor that i can use in my truck? Ive got all sorts of people looking for a reasonable used or rebuilt but havent had any luck so far. I have heard of people swapping them but they didnt give any specific info. Any help wopuld be great as I am waiting to do this before assembling the rest of the top end. thanx.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 95 Cam Synchro/Crank Angle Sensor

If your after just the sensor, $28 to 54 at RockAuto Auto Parts. They have the whole reman assembly including the sensor $150 plus 30 refundable core charge. You can find a 5% off code in their section located Rock Auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks and Cars
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
"Ford Newbie"

Yea all i can find is the whole unit thru rock auto...unless im missing sumthing. If u see just the sensor itself a link would be awesome. Im ready to bang my head against a tree
Old 02-26-2010, 15:44   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I was mistaken. Was looking at camshaft position sensor. Sorry about that.
Old 02-26-2010, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Might try this site Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. You'll probably have to use the 'Contact Us' option as I did not see that part as an option in the search box.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44   #6 (permalink)
"Ford Newbie"

well i found one, but like i said it aint cheapo. 215.00 and cant get it till next week. But i guess i cant let it hold me up anymore, im gonna put the rest of the motor back together and at least get the motor turned over for oil coverage on everything.

I may even try to see if it runs without this so called crank angle sensor and see what happens. Since the synchro for the cam its self should be run by the gear on the cam and synchro the relay should be for the crank angle? Or am i thingking about this wrong. Im pretty knowledgable on cars and trucks but ford is pretty new to me. But ill be back in later for an update either after it wont run or after i blow up a rebuilt engine , lol
Old 02-27-2010, 08:50   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Then why not buy the whole assembly from rockauto for $150?

Well, it was $150 yesterday, $163 today. Don't know why the price difference.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
"Ford Newbie"

well since I have been laid off a few months now and no work in site around me money is kinda tight. I have a few people looking for me as i have done all the searching I can. tryin to find a used one before i break down for a new one. Used one(if u can find one) is around 50.00. I have a few auto parts locators looking too.
Old 02-27-2010, 15:46   #9 (permalink)
"Ford Newbie"

ok so update time. I actually assembled the rest of the motor today with just the cap of the sensor installed as the rest was broken. Left wires off did the whole prime the engine deal as it was just rebuilt from the bottom up. slapped the wires on and it fired first try and runs better than before the rebuild. except the check engine light. obviously because there is no crank angle sensor in the top of the cam synch. but hey at least its running and the wife can use it. Im guessing it will get a lil lower gas mileage but like i said at least it is running.
Old 02-27-2010, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes after the cam sensor is replaced.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator