95 explorer will turn but not fire - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 13:38   #1 (permalink)

95 explorer will turn but not fire

My Dad has a 95 explorer that he drives every day and runs great, until yesterday morning he goes to start it, it turns over but will not start, the first thing I think of is the fuel pump relay as the fuel pump is silent and getting no power. I find that the relay is good. I check the inertia switch, it's good. Then I find that the inertia switch is not getting power. If I spray starting fluid in the T.B. while he cranks it fires for a bit and dies.
Long story short, the relay is good but no power to inertia switch. I've checked all fuses in both boxes and their all good.
Any ideas?
351Windsor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 17:10   #2 (permalink)
Daveymisbehavey

Re: 95 explorer will turn but not fire

First... make sure that the security system isn't tripped. If the security light is blinking it is tripped. It will kill the fuel circuits on purpose. If that's the case you need to have it reset. Your local ford shop should be able to do it. If not... start with the relay. Ford has never been able to nail down the proper way to make a fuel supply circuit. They've had relay/inertia switch problems since they started computertizing their vehicles. I can't begin to tell you how much I hate bronco II's and explorers their fuel pump relay troubles!!

Make sure you not only test the relay but the socket as well. sometimes the sockets wear out from vibration and don't make good contact. Use a test light and make sure you have power to the relay. if it's clicking that doesn't always mean it's good!! make sure that it's actually turning the power on and off to the fuel circuit. If you are getting power output... Use an ohm meter between the output side of the relay and the input side of the inertia switch.. You should have a reading of 0 - 0.05 ohms. If you have an open loop or more than 1 ohm you likely have break in the wire. Best way to find it is start by wiggling the harness while watching the meter. Sometimes you can narrow your search this way. But most likely if you have my kind of luck you will have to start untaping the harness and tugging on the power wire. You'll know when u have a bad spot because it will stretch and break with little resistance. And there will probably be green crap inside the insulation. cut out the bad section and spice in some new wire. Should fix u right up. Wiring issues can be a nightmare but just start in one place and start eliminating stuff. Eventually you'll find the problem. If all else fails and you have a couple circuit breakers available, make up two jumpers with an inline circuit breaker (so you don't accidently fry something). Jumper the inertia switch first, then the relay. The pump should spin up *assuming the pump is good* but you should at least get power to the fuel pump harness. If you don't. you've bypassed anything but wiring so the problem lies in the wires!! I work on fords every day and I can't begin to tell you how many I've had to spend HOURS ripping apart wiring harnesses to find a dumb corroded wire causing alllll the greif... Just break it down and eliminate one component at a time. eventually you'll find the problem! Just have patience..

HOPE THIS HELPS!
daveymisbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 13:05   #3 (permalink)

Re: 95 explorer will turn but not fire

Has you solved your starting issue? Reason I ask is that I have a 98 Explorer 4WD EB 4.0SOHC w/180k. So far has been pretty good. But as of late I have been have random starting issues. Usually happens in the morning after it has sat all night. I am leaning towards issue with the alarm killing the ignition system. I can usually get it to start by so repeating of opening and closing doors and locking and unlocking the doors several times then fires right up. When it is turning over it sounds dry. no fuel or smell of fuel!

Here is what I know.

-When the key is turned I can here the fuel pump switch on. (confirmed by opening the gas cap)
-check the fuel relay switch and it is OK. Button is down
-I pulled plugs and they are dry as a bone.
-Checked for spark and no spark
-New battery
-Replaced all the relays
-All fuses are good.
-Keys are good. The theft system light comes on for 3 sec then goes off with the key.

I am at a lose and to the extent of my knowledge of cars. The only other thing that I can think of is the the left rear passenger door handle will not open. The handle spring inside is broke. $ealer wants $600 to fix So as a result the door does not open from inside or out. I can open it if I pull the knob up inside.
I think that this is playing some role in the alarm

Any help would be great!

theDogger
theDogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator