96 Explorer XLT - Window stuck down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
bvd

96 Explorer XLT - Window stuck down

Hi folks, New here...

I am trouble shooting a problem with a front passenger side window. Symptom was that it will roll down, but not up...

I swapped the switch from the rear window and same result, front switch works fine in rear...

Checked out switch and figured out which lead was hot coming into it and which leads got switched hot when switch was toggled. Jumpered swich with +12v to the down position and get the expected result, window goes down. Did the same with the up positon, and window does NOT go up.

My assumption here is the motor is shot. Replace motor, no change. More troubleshooting. the motor has 2 wires going into it. On normal operation when power is provided on one lead window goes up, when power on other lead window goes down. I assumed the motor housing was providing the ground. Not so... When power is provided on one lead, the other is used for ground (doh!)... Ok more testing with my meter and it looks like the resting state of these leads should show a ground. Only the lead which enables the down shows this, so I think I have a problem with the other one...

So:
1) Do I have this right?
2) Am I looking for a shorted wire now?
3) Does this run through a (possibly compromised) relay somehere, so that when +12 is applied that it does not ground out?

Any help appreciated...
bvd
bvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 96 Explorer XLT - Window stuck down

I believe all of the grounds go through the drivers master switch. Check there. To check it, you'd need a wiring diagram for the system.
Old 08-04-2011, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
bvd

thanks Bert.

I did some more googling and looked at a potential relay issue, and have disgarded this as an option. There is a single relay for all windows, and would therefor expect to have a common problem with all windows if this was failing.

I also cracked my Haynes manual and looked at the 'generic' wiring diagram, and it confirms that the power leads run directly back to the master switch. I'll pull that apart tomorrow and start trouble shooting there...

thx again...
Old 08-04-2011, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You're on the right track. The relay would affect all of the windows. Post back what you find.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-06-2011, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
bvd

Got it.

Ground was good on the drver side (master?) switch, so there had to be a break between the two switches. I guessed it probably would be in the diver door bend as that would get the most abuse, and I got lucky, there it was... (tan wire / blue stripe)

Thanks again for the help Bert.

Old 08-06-2011, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good job. Glad you found it. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator