97 Mountaineer: can't turn power off, JBL Premium - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 14:53   #1 (permalink)

Question 97 Mountaineer: can't turn power off, JBL Premium

Hi Everyone,

I've dug for a couple days trying to find the thread I thought I'd bookmarked, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

The volume knob on the JBL Premium stereo in my '97 Mountaineer has stopped allowing me to turn the stereo off. It appears that the little detente mechanism that toggles the on/off state in the switch is gummed up. Rather than replace the entire head end or try to find the replacement switch (which is another needle-in-the-haystack adventure, it turns out), I recall a post where one customer reported disassembling and cleaning the switch part itself. This involved essentially melting the 4 plastic rivets on the back of the sandwich assembly so that you could gain access to the little nylon parts that are getting gummed up, clean them, then reassemble and use the remaining bit of plastic from each rivet to re-melt and re-seal the switch assembly.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to get a pointer to that thread or some instructions on exactly how to open that switch up, clean it, test it and reassemble it.

Thanks!
jfuelleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 15:18   #2 (permalink)

Question Re: 97 Mountaineer: can't turn power off, JBL Premium

oh, and I forgot to add that I'll post pictures if anyone else is interested in this process, but I need to get this back together and working first.
jfuelleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator