ABS and Cruise Out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19   #1 (permalink)

ABS and Cruise Out

I have an 03 Mountaineer, V8. ABS light is on and not working.....easilly proved in recent snow. Also the cruise is inop and I am wondering is this is related and if there is a common fix?
kwaskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 10:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: ABS and Cruise Out

Bro, I got to tell you that your car has the same problem as mine. Remember once Mr. Ford said, "I will make cheap cars that everyone can have".
I would replace it with, "I will make suck cars that everyone can have".

Anyway, your vehicle has one of a bad ABS sensor. There maybe 2 of them goes out at once. This is one of Ford common problem. Those sensors are mounted from the inside side of the rotors(one from each side of the front wheel. I figure out the problem is that the front brake rotors when they got too hot that they just burned these sensors out.
The dealers do charge big buck on these replacement. You can buy the parts and bring them to a Pepboy or an outside store, or you can do them by yourself. To replace them, you need to remove the wheel on each side. Then you need to remove the brake pads and the rotor in order you can access to the sensor. The sensor part is easy to replace, but you need to remove the brake pads and the rotor in order you can remove the sensor. To remove the sensor, you just uncrew the two bolts those hold the sensor and unplug the wiring cable connector.

Good luck,

Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:17   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! Is there any way to identify which sensor is the bad one?
kwaskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56   #4 (permalink)

I don't quite remember exactly what resistance on those sensors. But the way you need to check each one is what you need to do ad the following:

1. Use a VOM meter. Make sure you have a good one as a Fluke.
2. Change the rotary switch to the ohm function. Hook the test leads to the plug that connects to the sensor still mounts on the wheel. When you spin the wheel, you should see some reading, steady reading on the meter. If you don't see the reading or it stay zero or OL. You definitely have that sensor has gone bad.
If there is some steady reading at an instant speed, it will show a steady pulse from the sensor. If the meter shows zero, you have a short sensor, and if the meter shows OL, you have it openned (a broken wiring may occur in the sensor wiring)
I have tested these before and I can't remember what was the reading on them. Basically you need to look at the reading.

Good luck,
Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator