ABS warning light - intermittent - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 16:12   #1 (permalink)

ABS warning light - intermittent

2002 Exploreer XLT 138,000 miles. On first start up and for 22 mile ride ABS warning light was on constantly. For the next four engine starts the same day the warning light stayed off. So is there a problem? What is the cause of this?
NCVinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: ABS warning light - intermittent

It may have just encountered a problem and corrected itself.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 16:25   #3 (permalink)
Thing 1

My 98 Mountianeer (same abs system) did this over several weeks. In the end, I swapped the whole assembly from one in a salvage yard. Problem solved. In the end, I disassembled the unit and found water had penetrated the diagnostic board and corroded the circuits.

Not saying this is the cause on your car, but if it continues to come up and you rely on ABS as a safety device, then I would recommend checking the system over.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

With out knowing what code was set it is hard to tell. If the light came on you can be sure there is a code in the ABS module unless the battery or module have been disconnected since. There are a couple systems and all are slightly different. RABS, 4WABS, 2WABS.

A common problem I have seen that is easy to check and fix is the rear speed sensor. They can build up junk on them after time and this can cause the light to be set. There should be a sensor in the rear differential housing. This is the ABS rear speed sensor. A 10mm wrench or socket should remove the bolt that is holding it in. If it has gunk on it clean it off with brake clean and a rag and reinstall. Even still the code will have to be cleared and then see if the light comes back. The sensor may need to be replaced in the end.

The best way to know is take it to a shop and have the ABS tested. Make sure you ask for the code that was present in the module and go from there.
Old 07-10-2009, 19:38   #5 (permalink)

My update: My trusted mechanic showed me the code screen - no current code, but in memory "missing left front ABS sensor." He then had it up on the lift and showed me that a common trouble spot - the electical cable disconnect above the wheel and sensor - was still hermitically sealed and clean as a whistle on the inside. He suggests that the wheel bearing may be going (again) - and a slight wobble causing a slightly enlarged gap in the spcae may have triggered the code. The ABS light has not returned.
NCVinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39   #6 (permalink)

2004 Explorer XLT 4x4

My ABS light is coming on and off also. Strange that it started just before the 100K mile mark. Of course Ford will not look at it under ESP now because I am over the limit. Anyway...

They did give me a code that pointed to the Yaw Sensor, I believe it was C1280.

Can someone tell me where exactly that sensor is locate on this vehicle?

Can this sensor be easily replaced without any programming of the OBC?
Harlanhml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 14:12   #7 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

I know they were located under the center console on the LS's. That is probably where it is located on your vehicle or wherever the midpoint is. It makes the most sense considering its' job and physics.

The module will have to be recalibrated once the part is replaced.
Old 07-28-2009, 14:49   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I tried to locate it by removing what I could of the center console, but it must be deep under the ac vent. I suppose I will have to take it to Ford for replacement and calibration.
Old 07-29-2009, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

That would be best considering it would come with a parts and labor warranty.
Old 08-03-2009, 13:01   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlanhml View Post
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4

My ABS light is coming on and off also. Strange that it started just before the 100K mile mark. Of course Ford will not look at it under ESP now because I am over the limit. Anyway...

They did give me a code that pointed to the Yaw Sensor, I believe it was C1280.

Can someone tell me where exactly that sensor is locate on this vehicle?

Can this sensor be easily replaced without any programming of the OBC?
Anwser to myself....

I looked under the center console today and discovered that there is no sensor installed for this vehicle. The connector and cable are there, but no sensor. I was told that the yaw sensor is only for vehicles with Advance Trac (IVD) and mine does not have it installed. Still, the code stored for the error light was a C1280 which the manual says has to do with the yaw sensor. Apparently there is something else hincky going on with the ABS system.

ABS light still comes on at random times and stays on for random times. I so far can not equate anything that is happening when driving to the light coming on and off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator