Advance Trac Light Issue, help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30   #1 (permalink)

cool Advance Trac Light Issue, help

I recently purchased a 2008 Explorer Eddie B version and have a question. My wife was driving it in wet and slippery conditions when she noticed the advance trac light on. It stayed on until the suv was turned off. We took it to the dealer per the manual warning and they found no codes in the system. Is this normal and should we pursue the issue further? The light now comes on when the button is pushed and then goes off with a second push as expected. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for any help,
Dave
broncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 07:40   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Advance Trac Light Issue, help

If the vehicle detects wheel slip, the traction control light will come on so you know that traction is compromised. Even things like taking a corner faster than one should can turn on the stability control. The system in my Pontiac G6 isn't too bad, but with the standard summer tires on driving in even light snow will turn it on almost instantly pulling out of the driveway. If you travel off-road (ie, gravel/dirt roads for instance) you can turn the advance-trac off so it doesn't hinder your ability to get over obstacles. If the system detects a lot of traction problems on more than one wheel, it can lower (think; cut) engine output automatically to help you steer the vehicle back on 'trac'.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 13:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information about the indicator light. I guess that the issue that is worrying me the most is the fact that the light does not go off after the slipping has been corrected. Does your indicator stay on after the problem condition has been rectified?

My biggest concern is that the light stays on because the system has turned itself off due to some unknown problem. Have you or anyone else noticed that your indicator remains lit until the ignition has been turned off?

Thanks again.
broncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
canuck

My light does go off after a few minutes of dry-road driving. One fast turn will turn the light back on. Mind you, GMs system is different but I don't find it overly annoying unless they're snow & ice mix on the roads. The light shouldn't stay on as you mentioned for a prolonged period. I'd bet one of the wheel sensors is bad if that's the case.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator