Air Bag Light Blinks Code 12 in 1998 Mercury Mountaineer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Air Bag Light Blinks Code 12 in 1998 Mercury Mountaineer

About 2 months ago, my Airbag light began blinking whenever I start my car. It blinks 1 time, then pauses, then blinks 2 times, then pauses longer, then starts over again. It repeats about 6 times and then stays on. So my guess is that it means Error Code 12. However, I have no idea what to do about it.

I'm not a hard core mechanic type, but have fixed things like blower motors and shocks and brakes and such. I just need some advice on where to start with this repair. My guess is that somebody out there knows exactly what the problem here is and how to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your super duper help with this blinkety-blinking problem.

I appreciate it,
MercuryMan11
MercuryMan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Air Bag Light Blinks Code 12 in 1998 Mercury Mountaineer

Hi MercuryMan. Check "Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor" fuse #6 inside the cabin fuse panel, and fuse #5 under the hood in the Power Distribution Box. If both are good, you could have a bad clock spring (in the steering column).
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

reset airbag light Fixed code 12 and 52
Old 12-05-2012, 22:27   #4 (permalink)

Thank you JWKO !!! It was indeed a blown fuse 5 under the hood in the Power Distribution box. However, now I get code 52, which I have read just says there was a power interrupt (which was the fuse that I replaced). So, I tried following Bert's link and it said to short 2 pins on the diagnostic connector. However, one of the two pins it specified to short together was missing. The connector had metal sleaves in only some of the slots. Bottom row 3rd from the left had no metal to short to.. I'm going to go to the auto parts store, get a diagnostics thingy and see if I can do a reset using it. Wish me luck.. At least Error 12 is gone and as I understand it, error 52 will eventually go away now that error 12 has been repaired. Thanks everybody !! Any further advice on resetting the Error Code 52 on my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer would be greatly appreciated!!
MercuryMan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator