Alternator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 19:12   #1 (permalink)

Alternator

Okay so I have an alternator from a 99 explorer. I want to create a diy mini generator and my alternator has a 3 pin plug a place where the output bolts on and the body is ground. what do I need to do to make it output. I have a system turning it but with a multimeter hooked up I only get .10 volts I hear that there is some kind of field wire and a stator? on the plug there is an I and and A for the outter pins.

campsteag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Alternator

The battery "flashes" the stator until the alternator is turning fast enough to pick up the load, then it supplies it's own power, which is another reason why your alternator puts out a higher voltage than the battery.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Alternator

I've done this before but with a Delco alternator which only had two prongs.
How I did that one (going by memory) Cable from the battery to the terminal on the back of the alternator. Ground from the Battery to the alternator case. Made a jumper wire from the hot lug on back of alternator to prong 2. Prong 1 would go to a 12v switched source such as a ignition switch or toggle switch.

Your alternator should set up as shown below.

I terminal
runs to the gen light. (Not used)

S terminal
simply jumpers over to the stator plug.

A terminal
runs to a switched 12v source. A wire from battery with toggle switch will work fine.

Batt lug to Battery +

Ground to case.

--------------------------

I've read of two different ways to wire this. If above does not work, Run a jumper from the Batt terminal on back to alternator to A. Run your switched 12v power to I and S jumper to S.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator