amnesty - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 14:40   #1 (permalink)
robin

Red face amnesty

during that government vehicle amnesty thing a few months back i heard that the explorer was the most turned in vehicle i got a 1991 4x4 four door and nothing is wrong with mine. but a worn out tranny...and why does my mechanic call it the exploder.....i'm kinda worried i got kids in my truck.....can any one tell me the story.
findson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: amnesty

Some people just like to change the names just to be funny. Others to cut something down. There's no reason to believe that it's going to exlode. We have some in our fleet and have no excessive problems. If it's been good to you don't worry about what some people call it. If your mechanic calls it that, maybe he has a prejudice against it. Like my Dad would say "If everbody liked the same thing, they'd all be after my wife". Maybe you need another mechanic. The Explorer wasn't the greatest thing Ford made but there's no reason to get rid of it.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 15:09   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I forgot to mention that the Ford Explorer sold the most SUVs for a long time and there were more to get rid of during the govt. program. They didn't get the greatest mileage so to trade them in was a big deal
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 15:19   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Maybe it's because the Explorer had a reputation of rolling over easily.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
canuck

It's not the vehicle that's the problem. It's the person behind the wheel. I laugh when someone phones me to change their brake pads. Only to find that I just changed them a few months ago. I found out after the guy pulled away from my house that he drives using two feet, one always on the gas and one always on the brake! Yet, he complains about spending $80 or so for me to install new pads.

A guy the other day (YES, IN AN EXPLORER - late 90's model) was barreling down the highway at a solid 40km/h over the limit and the amount of white smoke coming out from the body was just horrendous. I'm sure he left it in 4x4 lock and smoked his transfer case and gears. He'll eventually go to the shop (most likely towed) and dictate bad workmanship on Fords part.

A vehicle is what you make of it. If you take care of it, it'll return the favour. Keep the suspension components up to date, so you can avoid a rollover should you have to maneuver suddenly, change ALL the fluids, grease all the required areas regularly and put good fuel in the gas tank. Basic maintenance will go a long way.

One guy I used to know, drove an older F150 with the 4.9L and he made it 31,000miles on a regular oil change (51,000kms) before the engine seized up from sludge. No, he claimed he didn't add any oil during that time either. At least he was a good sport about it and actually bragged about not getting maintenance done. Where as the table could have easily turned and a 'busy body' can overlook something so simple and when it stalls out half way through a freeway drive due to owner neglect, they call it junk.

The Explorer was the most turned in vehicle because the resale sucks right now, and not to mention there are like 50 million of them that were produced over the years. When you compare total production number to the number of units traded in, I'm sure GM would top the list. Only because they've produced more vehicles in total over the years than any other manufacturer.

I'm trying to sell one of my condos. People are more interested in paint and carpet colour, than how well the place is built and managed. It just kills me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Like my Dad would say "If everbody liked the same thing, they'd all be after my wife".
That's only until the warranty expired - 30 years ago! Now he's just reminiscing!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator