Anybody got anything on an Aviator? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 21:02   #1 (permalink)

Anybody got anything on an Aviator?

So, I think a friend of mine is going to be buying an Aviator in the morning, but there's one thing that I'm concerned about. The transmission abruptly into drive or reverse, but then it shifts quick and smoothly underway. Is the engagement a problem, or is it just something they all do? It's an '04 2wd with 45k miles. Also, all I ever remember reading about these was how powerful they were. Frankly, I wasn't impressed at all. I drive an I-6 Trailblazer, and I don't think I'd have much problem keeping up with this. But anyways, I know it's extremely short notice, but are there any specific problem areas to look out for? Any input is appreciated!
Sandcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 06:33   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Anybody got anything on an Aviator?

Make sure that the vehicle in question has had all the latest TSB's performed at the dealer. There is no charge but as the vehicle is being purchased used it's better to do your homework on any related issues no matter how small. It seems the transmission goes abruptly in gear from owner abuse. I know people (old and young alike) that change automatics with the vehicle still rolling - very bad and can cause premature transmission failure if it's done on a regular basis. I'd make sure the linkage is correct and is tensioned accordingly. If the tension is good a transmission flush may help solve the problem, albeit just temporarily. lincolns (even Ford Explorer knockoffs) have a good reputation for reliability. You can check out user reviews on edmunds.com and autos.msn.com both are good websites for catching up on some homework. Again, check with a local dealer for any TSB's that haven't been performed on the vehicle by the original owner. Dealers don't always notify owners of Technical Service Bulletins unless they're safety related.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator