bleeding brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 19:34   #1 (permalink)

bleeding brakes

Hello Everyone.

I have a 1997 Explorer with the 302. I recently had to replace the brake line from the rear to the abs pump, my front calipers pads and rotors, and my master cylinder in one shot. I bench bled the master cylinder, then bled the brakes traditionally, I get fluid at all four wheels no air...yet my pedal goes almost to the floor?.... what am I missing? Please help, I only have two more days before school starts and just want normal brakes like everyone else.
97dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: bleeding brakes

Does it have RABS or ABS?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:22   #3 (permalink)

it has 4 wheel ABS I think...ABS pump has 3 lines hooked up to it, one for each front wheel, and one line (that I replaced) that goes to the rear. That line splits from the rear left wheel and goes to the right.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Are the front calipers on the correct sides? Meaning the bleeders need to be on top.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:51   #5 (permalink)

Yes. I have everything on the vehicle properly. I have no clues as to why the air appears to be non existent when bleeding the brakes, but when you turn the truck on, almost goes to the floor. When it's off you pump and get a stiff pedal that holds its position.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Sounds like air in the master cylinder so you may have to bench bleed it again - try immersing the whole master cylinder unit in clean brake fluid and pumping the actuating rod until you get no bubbles ( although it requires a lot of fluid this can be reused if the master cylinder is new an clean and it works better than the bent pipe approach - a large clean plastic icecream container works well in OZ but not sure if north American icecream comes the same way). Alternatively, although not as fool proof you can bleed in-situ with a vacuum pump like Mityvac.
Old 10-04-2013, 20:20   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

If you want to bench bleed the traditional way you can also do in-situ like this
Old 10-04-2013, 20:22   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
then bled the brakes traditionally
How; gravity or as it should be with someone pumping else the pedal and you closing the bleeder at the bottom of the down stroke?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15   #9 (permalink)

I will bench bleed the MC again, but their was no air in it the first time. I think my abs pump is where the air might be, but as far as I know, the only way to bleed that is to get this 300 dollar tool, and hook it up to the abs pump and it turns on the abs pump motor, pushes what is in abs system into the MC.

Thanks to everyone who has offered their input!!! I appreciate any help!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:31   #10 (permalink)

Update:

Re-bled the MC and wheels and it's the same. I was doing some further research and all signs point to air in the abs pump. I did even more research and found that the only way to cure this is to purchase a machine that turns the pump on for 20 seconds (full cycle) of the abs pump. Anyone else ever heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator