blown transmission?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 07:58   #1 (permalink)

blown transmission??

I was driving at 60 or so last night, when i went to accelerate it did not do anything but send the rpm's up. I pulled over and put 3 qts fluid in, but it will not move. i shift through the gears but it does not grab anything. I did not see any fluid on the ground or in the engine compartment at all.. please tell me its an easy fix and NOT a new tranny... 2000 ford explorer 4x4 v8 5.0
cstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: blown transmission??

Was the level low? To properly check the level, get the truck on level ground, apply the e-brake, put it in drive and check it, level should be checked while the transmission is trying to work.

Check for codes, as the PCM may be holding you out, but if the transmission isn't pumping fluid, a quick fix might be something as simple as draining the fluid, dropping the pan and changing the filter and refilling with fresh oil.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47   #3 (permalink)

Transmissions are never checked in drive. Read the dip stick. Says check hot in neutral.
Not park but neutral. You don't say where you got your fluid but if you just happen to have 3 qts with you you know it leaks. 3 qts low id' say your transmission is roasted. It
only takes 1 1/2 qts to fill the pan. Did your swap go OK ? Rangers don't come with a 5 lt.
If it is a 5 lt its a 305 from a mustang. A 302 is a 4.9. Not the same engine.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 13:05   #4 (permalink)

In order to properly check transmission fluid, vehicle needs to be on level ground. Start the vehicle & proceed shifting through every gear holding for 5 sec. Keep in mind the tranny fluid will need to be at max temp before checking. At the temp the fluid will no longer expand. Vehicle will need to be in"P" OR "PARK". THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST ACCURATE READ.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
hickoxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 13:59   #5 (permalink)

My mistake. Dodge's are checked in neutral. That runs the front pump. fords are checked in
park. sorry about that. hickoxc90 is right.
Old 07-29-2012, 14:09   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

There are that many different checking variations from car to car nowadays it's hard to keep track . Most of the earlier European cars were checked in the drive position and occasionally a mechanic or two would have a fill your pants moment by forgetting that and revving engine .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 14:27   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Did your swap go OK ? Rangers don't come with a 5 lt.
If it is a 5 lt its a 305 from a mustang. A 302 is a 4.9. Not the same engine.
What are you talking about Chip? He's referring to a 2000 Ford Explorer, 4WD with a 5.0L 302ci. A Ford Ranger was never mentioned.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 15:53   #8 (permalink)

And another **** up on my part. Explorer. Sorry about that. but a 5 lt. is NOT a 302. He has a 4.9. 302. get it right. If i look up 5 lt 302 for parts many part don't fit. the 5 lt. is in the mustang. its a 305. Different engine. Ford finally made the call and will list a car or truck with a 4.9 engine. That is a 302. Chevy has a 305. 5lt. in their vans and wagons. Very common engine. Not the best but better than the 307. There are 61 cubic inches to a lt. X 5 . do the math. 60.4 cubic inches is. well do the math. No offense. just doing math. keep on keeping on.
Old 07-29-2012, 16:06   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

In the year 2000, Ford considered the 302 V-8 in a Ford Expedition a 5.0L. The owners manual even states its a 5.0L 302ci. I guess Ford's the ones who need to get it right.

Technically, a 4.9 liter engine is a 299ci, but we can round it up to a 302. NOW, call a parts store and ask for a part for a 2000 Ford Explorer with the 4.9L.

Keep on Trucking

Last edited by jwko; 07-29-2012 at 16:26. Reason: because I felt I needed to change my answer
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 17:23   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Transmissions are never checked in drive.
Sorry 'bout that... taught that way when I was a kid and never thought to see otherwise.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator