Ford Forums banner

Camshaft - Mustang conversion

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello everyone...
I have a problem, my camshaft has been damaged. Lifter broke up and destroyed my cam. My car is Ford Explorer EB 4.6 v8 from 2007, I live in Poland and I have problems to buy such a camshaft for my car.I can buy a camshaft for Mustang GT. Will there be a matching camshaft for my Explorer? I was looking at RockAuto and probably the same.

Please help me with this.

I have some more questions ...
1) What oil poured into this engine? 5w20 or maybe 5w30, Motorcraft or other company (Mobil etc)
2) Does Enginetech make good parts? Maybe DNJ, Melling, Sealed Power, etc.
3) I want to replace the camshaft, I bought the whole kit Cloyes of RockAuto ..... is that a good choice?

Sorry for my English

#2 ·
I believe all 4.6 and 5.4 3v cams are the same so dont worry about that. At the very least youll need a new cam and follower and you need to do a compression check to make sure everything is good now.

Ford specs all of their 4.6 and 5.4s to use 5w30 but you may need a different viscosity being in Poland. The problem lies in the variable cam timing components only working with certain viscosities of oil. That said either 5w30 or 0w30 should both work. As far as brand, I stick with Motorcraft because thats what Ford uses and its cheaper than most other brands.

I know Melling makes good products but I dont know about the rest.

Yes Cloyes is a great brand but for what its worth youre buying a remanufactured cam so any brand should be ok.

Your English is just fine man! No need to apologize.

#3 ·
Hello and thank you for the help.
Those companies I have written about are available on RockAuto. I've also heard that Melling and Cloyes are good companies. Enginetech camshafts at a good price ... do not know if it's a good company? I'm in love with this car and decided I would make it for myself. Both cylinder heads have been removed.
Do tej pory kupiłem na RockAuto takie części:
-Camshaft phaser/Variable Timing Sprocket (Dorman)
-Cylinder Head Bolt (Fel-Pro)
-Cylinder Head Gasket (Apex)
-Exhaust Valve (Enginetech)
-Timing Set (Cloyes)
-Valve cover Gasket (Magnum)
-Valve Guide (DNJ)
-Valve Lifter (DNJ)
-Valve Stem Seal (Fel-Pro)
-Timing Cover Gasket Set (Fel-Pro)
-Exhaust Flange Stud and Nut (Dorman)
-Exhaust Manifold Gasket (DNJ)
-Water pump
In addition, I have to order another oil pump (Melling) and this camshaft (Enginetech). Should I pay attention to something else? Something else to buy?

#4 ·
Hello and thank you for the help.
Those companies I have written about are available on RockAuto. I've also heard that Melling and Cloyes are good companies. Enginetech camshafts at a good price ... do not know if it's a good company? I'm in love with this car and decided I would make it for myself. Both cylinder heads have been removed.
Until now, I have bought and already delivered from RockAuto such parts:
-Camshaft phaser/Variable Timing Sprocket (Dorman)
-Cylinder Head Bolt (Fel-Pro)
-Cylinder Head Gasket (Apex)
-Exhaust Valve (Enginetech)
-Timing Set (Cloyes)
-Valve cover Gasket (Magnum)
-Valve Guide (DNJ)
-Valve Lifter (DNJ)
-Valve Stem Seal (Fel-Pro)
-Timing Cover Gasket Set (Fel-Pro)
-Exhaust Flange Stud and Nut (Dorman)
-Exhaust Manifold Gasket (DNJ)
-Water pump
In addition, I have to order another oil pump (Melling) and this camshaft (Enginetech). Should I pay attention to something else? Something else to buy?

#5 ·
I can't think of anything, but I'm more familiar with the Windsors than the Modulars. Even then, I always end up forgetting something. Best way to avoid that is to make your parts list while reading through the repair standard. With each part it says to remove, write down the gasket, bolt, bearing, and so on. I can't say you won't forget something, but the number of items you do forget will dwindle drastically.

#6 ·
Ive never bought from enginetech myself but Im sure theyre fine.

The only thing youre forgetting are new cam bolts. The factory bolts are not reuseable. They are torque to yeild so once they are installed they stretch and are no longer useable once removed.

I cant really think of anything else you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.