Cat converter problem 4.6L 1998 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 18:05   #1 (permalink)

Cat converter problem 4.6L 1998

Hi,

I have an Explorer 98 with a 4.6L and 136,000 miles. It idles a little rough at 600 rpm and gets about 330 miles per tank in city and 400 miles per tank Highway. However in the last year it has gone through 4 cat converters. Each one lasting from 300 to 500 miles before the "check engine" light comes on. I have changed the intake gaskets. It does not use any coolant or oil.

Need some recommendations?
Steven Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cat converter problem 4.6L 1998

did u ever change out the o2 sensors i think there are 2 or 3 of them just on the cats alone those could cause the engine light to go off
stuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Daveymisbehavey

Re: Cat converter problem 4.6L 1998

make sure your injectors aren't sticking. with that many miles I wouldn't be surprised. that would cause your rough idle and will make your engine run rich which will burn your cats out prematurely. Also make sure your fuel pressure regulator isn't bad. Bad idle and burning out cats prematurly all point to improper fuel mixture. You need to get a pressure gauge on it and do a leak down test to see what's going on. Also it wouldn't hurt to put a vacuum gauge on it. With that many miles your valves are probably starting to carbon up and might be leaking. That will cause poor performance and screw up the o2 readings. It's hard to say exactly but if you are burning out cats I would try to get it on a 5 gas analyzer and see how bad your emissions are. That is a great indicator to what your engine is doing fuel/air mixture-wise. Then go from there. 02 sensors don't just keep tripping. They do so for a reason. If the computer isn't liking what it's seeing it's going to throw a code. You can rule out bad o2s but hooking up a scantool and watching the cross counts. But I'm assuming that you're not dumb enough to replace 2 cats and not change the o2's. That's common sense.

Hope this helps
daveymisbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator