door ajar light stays on after closing all doors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 18:30   #1 (permalink)

door ajar light stays on after closing all doors

Hi,
I have a 2004 Explorer with 70k miles on it. I haven't had any problems until now.

The problem is when I get into the truck and close the door, the "door ajar" light says on as well as all the interior lights. After backing out of my driveway and going down the road 50feet or so the "door ajar" and interior lights go off. I think the problem might be the switch that tells the door it is closed but i don't know where that switch is. In other cars I've owned it has been a small black rubber plunger kind of switch. But on the Explorer door the only place i see it could be is a black bar that becomes recessed into the door as you close it, right by the door hinge towards the bottom of the door. i thought before I change that out I might ask if anyone knows what is causing this.

The other strange thing is if I use the remote door control to unlock the door, the electric locks lockup and i have to climb in and use the passenger side electric lock to unlock the doors because the drivers side door switch doesn't work. After using the car and shutting it off and trying it again the remote and locks work but the "door ajar" and interior light problem still exists. The one other thing that is strange is that when the "door ajar" and interior lights are on the electric mirror ajustments don't work....
I think all of these things are related because they all started at the same time.

i looked in the owners manual for a relay to change but that wasn't very helpful.

Maybe there is a short somewhere or the car is haunted?

I hope someone has a suggestion.

Thanks for reading and any help you might have.
Michael
VT_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: door ajar light stays on after closing all doors

I have same exact problem. We have a 04 Mountaineer. Let me know what you find out. I read on one forum that a a broken ground could be the cause. I have removed the door panel and looked for a broken ground and didn't find one. I have also sprayed the Door Latch with WD-40.
Jasonsmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22   #3 (permalink)

Jason, I guess no one on this forum has experience with this problem. I found an answer on Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
A few people say the door switch gets messed up with dirt and dust so you need to spray it with WD-40 and it should fix it. The switch is that black bar looking thing that is down by the hinge that goes into the door when you close it. Spray in bar thing so it gets to the switch inside the door with some WD and you should be good to go.

Search the forum link above for "door ajar light" and read a few of the threads.
VT_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Explorer View Post
Jason, I guess no one on this forum has experience with this problem. I found an answer on Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
A few people say the door switch gets messed up with dirt and dust so you need to spray it with WD-40 and it should fix it. The switch is that black bar looking thing that is down by the hinge that goes into the door when you close it. Spray in bar thing so it gets to the switch inside the door with some WD and you should be good to go.

Search the forum link above for "door ajar light" and read a few of the threads.
This question comes up several times a month so a search here should have found you the answer. Personally, I think the search on most forums is lousy. The seitch is normally in the latch, not the hinge side.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 13:38   #5 (permalink)

This is a common problem with Ford Explorer.
You all have the problem with the door pin switch. I had this problem with my 2003 Explorer before I trade in with another car. There were many problems after another.
Ford seems to have many problems with its door pin switches design. I had 3 of them fail after the third year.
To figure out the problem on which door, you need to check the pin switch right on the mechanical lock inside the door panel. Ford builds the pin switch on the mechanical lock. Use an ohm meter to check the 2 pins of the pin switch. Watch on the meter if you see it change when you push the pin switch in and out. If the meter does nothing with the pin in and out, you have that switch is bad. Repeat with other door until you find another bad one if you need to.
To access a pin switch, you need to remove the door panel and peel the door waterproof sheet. Then you need to remove the cable, electrical cable plug, and the latch that hook to the mechanical lock and remove the screws those hold the lock. The pin switch is mounted on the lock. It's easy to be removed. To put it back, you will have to reverse the other way.

Any question, come back to ask me.

Good luck,
Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator