Door ajar, when they're not - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42   #1 (permalink)

confused Door ajar, when they're not

Can anyone tell me where the door-close sensors/buttons might be on an '01 Explorer..?

Despite now regularly walking around the car, and slamming all doors, I find the door ajar signal is constantly coming on, on the dash. Not only that, on the rare occasion when I let the missus drive it, the puddle and interior lights stay on, because it thinks a door is still open, and consequently I have had to outlay for 2 new batteries so far this year.

I'm hoping that I can locate the sensor in each door, so I can clear any blockages that might be causing the error message on the dash...but somehow, I just know it's not going to be as simple as that.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me here...I'm desperate.

Cheers.
Rickporgera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Door ajar, when they're not

They are located on the door latches inside the door. You have to remove the door panels to access them. The wiring connector is located on the top towards the outside. You should be able to reach the connector without removing the latch. One caution on the plastic retaining clip - they are brittle on these connectors and break easily.

If you have to remove the latch, the connecting rods between the latch and door lock, inside and outside door handles are held in place by plastic clips. The power door lock actuator and latch has to be removed together as the connecting rod has a Z bend on the end.
fraxinusalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 14:45   #3 (permalink)

frax mate,
Thanks for that info. Nothing is as simple as it used to be, eh..? That'll give me something to do on my next break. First thing I now have to do is figure out which door is responsible for the error signal on the dash, rather than strip all the doors so I can have a rummage.

Thanks again...much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 16:12   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

To help isolate your problem, try a shot of WD40 or PB Blaster. Do one latch at a time and open and shut the door a few times,(no heavy slam, just normal open and close) if the light stays on, go to the next latch till you find the one.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 22:54   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Fonz,

I never even thought of that. I'll give it a burl and see how I get on. Thanks for the help...it may just save me a lot of grief and tears.

Cheers,

Rick Brittain
Cairns, Qld. OZ.
Old 10-04-2007, 23:37   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
To help isolate your problem, try a shot of WD40 or PB Blaster. Do one latch at a time and open and shut the door a few times,(no heavy slam, just normal open and close) if the light stays on, go to the next latch till you find the one.
Thanks for that suggestion. I gave all locks a quick squirt of DWF, and bingo. Good as gold. All I have to do now is find a local panel shop that can replace the split cover panel on the tail gate, and I'm laughing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator