E 85 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25   #1 (permalink)

E 85

I am burning e *% in my explorer what can I do to get better gas mileage
Thanks
wordmovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 15:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: E 85

Sadly, E85 while it uses a more renewable source of energy, does have a lot less energy per volume unit than normal 87 Octane gasoline.

Really, though, getting better fuel economy is something that doesn't change with the type of fuel you're using.

* Don't stomp on the gas. Ease into the pedal when possible.

* Let the engine do the braking as much as possible, and slow down early. When reversse torque is applied to the engine, the PCM cuts fuel delivery to a minimum. If you have a manual transmission, holding the clutch in or putting it into N while slowing down actually takes more fuel than letting the engine do the braking. If you slow down earlier your engine spends more time under negative torque and burns less fuel.

* Shift early. This goes with the rule about leadfooting it. Once you're moving, stay in the highest gear you can. If you have an automatic transmission, leave overdrive ON and leave it in the highest gear possible.

* Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Underinflated tires don't roll as easily and will adversely affect fuel economy.

* A/C puts a load on the engine. when possible, don't use the A/C

* Driving with the windows all the way down creates excessive aerodynamic drag. When possible, leave them only slightly rolled down. Rolled all the way up is best.

* Slower is better. Especially with the massive frontal area that our trucks have, faster speeds dramatically increase drag, which increasingly adds to the amount of effort the engine needs to supply to maintain a given speed. Also, higher speeds in top gear run at a higher RPM. Past 100 km/h or 60 MPH, your fuel economy will get worse and worse the faster you drive.

* Avoid stop and go traffic or erratic traffic speed changes. Keeping a steady RPM and speed is essential to getting good fuel economy. Learn how to time stop lights and flow with traffic. Use highways when possible.

Best of luck, and thanks for using E85!
ax0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 15:55   #3 (permalink)

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement:

Really, though, getting better fuel economy is something that doesn't change with the type of fuel you're using.

In this colder weather, I experienced a 30% mileage loss (as the book said I might) with E85. The hard starts and rough idling are also aggravating, and the power loss is annoying as well. This is a 2004 Sport Trac. However, I supposed it could be possible to not have this issue in a different vehicle?

More of my reasoning for not using it, I posted in the Explorer Forums in a reply to a recent E85 post. In short, I hate the stuff. I get much much better mileage with gas, or 10% blend.
BKL8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 17:29   #4 (permalink)

E85 is nothing but a big rip-off. You get LOWER MPG when you use it and by the time it's all said and done you use just as much E85 Fuel as regular gas.

SCAM!!!!
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:16   #5 (permalink)

Wordmovers,

I found this site to be most useful re: E85. National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition
The FAQ addresses the mileage issue. I do not run E85 but am looking to. I would take the hit on milage and probably pay around the same as conventional fuel on the basis of reducing emissions, dependence on foreign oil and the nature of a renewable resource. There are some drawbacks, and no perfect solution, but E85 has a lot of pluses. From The FAQ:

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 96 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 10-15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on the way one drives, the air pressure in the tires, and additional driving conditions.
J$hort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator