Engine not getting fuel ('98 Ford Explorer) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

Engine not getting fuel ('98 Ford Explorer)

My wife's SUV decided to die 2 weeks ago in a turn lane. It has had some rough idling issues up till that point, but when it died, that was it. Couldn't turn the engine over, eded up killing the battery. Jump didn't help. Nada.

I have just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter today, but the same problem persists. When pressing the fuel line gauge under the hood (can't remember what that thing is called, same thing on your bike tire), only a little bit of fuel comes out, you can tell there isn't much pressure. The fuel pump does come on when the ignition is turned.

I'm losing hope that I'll be able to figure this out myself. What am I missing? Could there be a blockage in the fuel line or maybe the fuel regulator is toast?

Any help/ideas of stuff to try is DEEPLY appreciated.
4tified is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 17:11   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Engine not getting fuel ('98 Ford Explorer)

Usually the fuel pressure regulator makes them run rich. Have someone turn the key to ignition while you hold the shrader valve in to see if you get pressure at that time. Where did you get the pump? We got one from Autozone that wouldn't pump. That can happen from any place. Recheck the lines to make sure you didn't pinch one. Been there, done that.
Old 11-28-2009, 18:12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Usually the fuel pressure regulator makes them run rich. Have someone turn the key to ignition while you hold the shrader valve in to see if you get pressure at that time. Where did you get the pump? We got one from Autozone that wouldn't pump. That can happen from any place. Recheck the lines to make sure you didn't pinch one. Been there, done that.
I had someone hold the shrader valve today while I turned the key, it only spirts out a small bit. I got the pump from autozone. I'll be kinda PO'd if the pump is faulty. All lines seem to be good, nothing seems pinched and no leaks anywhere.
Old 11-28-2009, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could get something to catch the fuel, take the fuel filter off and see what fuel comes out there with turning the key to on.
Old 11-28-2009, 19:36   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You could get something to catch the fuel, take the fuel filter off and see what fuel comes out there with turning the key to on.
Hmm... I may try that tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 16:14   #6 (permalink)

Okay, removed the fuel filter, turned the key to prime, fuel is coming out. When attempting to start the engine, there is a continuous stream of fuel, so the pump seems to be good. I put a brand new fuel filter in, now fuel is shooting out of the shraeder valve with ease. The engine is still not starting however.

I have bled the shraeder valve numerous times to ensure there is no air in the line, but still no dice.

Someone mentioned the fuel regulator. Where can I find this on the explorer?
Old 12-05-2009, 18:49   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Usually the pressure regulator give to much fuel pressure. Do you have spark at the plugs? You can take a wire off one plug, put another spark plug in it and crank the engine. The base has to be grounded. The IAC can also cause a problem. If you spray starting fluid in the intake, crank it, and it starts for a short time, you know it's getting spark and not fuel.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:21   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Usually the pressure regulator give to much fuel pressure. Do you have spark at the plugs? You can take a wire off one plug, put another spark plug in it and crank the engine. The base has to be grounded. The IAC can also cause a problem. If you spray starting fluid in the intake, crank it, and it starts for a short time, you know it's getting spark and not fuel.
I did check to see there was spark, but only two out of the 6. I will try the fuel thing later.
Old 12-06-2009, 18:44   #9 (permalink)

If you find that you have good fuel delivery after all the diagnostic checks then maybe check out your coil pack and everything associated with it.
dean63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator