Exploere EGR - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:46   #1 (permalink)

Exploere EGR

hey,

97 Explorer suddenly won't start. No trouble codes at all, clean. However, the $06 query comes back with component $12 failed, value of 65326.

This is the upstream side of the differential pressure "switch" feeding the EGR.

1st, is this a valid error I am seeing or is it just a quirk of a non-running motor.

2nd, can a failed EGR system component keep a motor from even starting?

Thanks.
carpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 11:21   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Exploere EGR

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds wheb the key is turned to run? It shuld every time the key is turned form off. Have you checked for spark at the plug end of the plug wire when cranking? I've never seen an EGR problem keep an engine from starting.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27   #3 (permalink)

Bert,

I don't recall hearing the fuel pump, the software was able to show a fuel flow while cranking, several tenths of a GPH.

I haven't started pulling things apart yet.

I wouldn't think an EGR component would prevent starting, but I have found instances of people messing with EGR's and ending up with a no-start situation, so I was wondering.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Listen for the pump and see if you get soark when cranking. The EGR can cause a no start if the vacuum side isn't connected and a vacuum leak is present, but it doesn't do that on it's own.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:49   #5 (permalink)

Get a presumably fuel pump noise for about 2 seconds when key goes on.

Spark on one plug confirmed, fuel pump shutoff not tripped. Can't see anything obviously wrong with EGR system.
Old 12-11-2011, 13:44   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you hear that noise for a few seconds, that would be the pump. Try spraying some starting fluid in the intake and see if that starts it.
Old 12-11-2011, 13:52   #7 (permalink)

lol, I haven't used ether in many many years.
Old 12-18-2011, 13:41   #8 (permalink)

This is getting stranger and stranger.

As mentioned earlier, I did hear the noise in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the key was turned on. I don't know what makes this, with the pump in the tank, but it did.

As in past tense, now nothing. OK, I pressed on the needle valve that is conveniently located up top and absolutely nothing came out of it. Alright, that makes it a little easier. No pump noise, no fuel in the line, ok. So why pump noise and then none? Pump was apparently running after the vehicle died, odd that it would happen now.

I figured maybe the filter was clogged, so I replaced that. I still get no pump noise and after a good 30 seconds of cranking no fuel from the needle valve. I opened up the tank side of the fuel filter and didn't get splashed.

Checked inertia switch, seemingly ok there. I pulled the connector off the switch and with the key turned on I get no power on the green/yellow wire. When I initially started all this mess I did have power at the switch.

To the relays - pulled out the fuel pump relay (checked the book twice to be sure I had the right one), measure 12V across the coil terminals for a few seconds when the key is turned on. So power to the relay coil is ok. (yes, I tried another relay).

I jumpered power to the NO contact terminal running to the inertia switch, according to the schematic, and still have nothing at the inertia switch! What are the chances of there being two separate problems?????

My next step is to hard wire power to the inertia switch connector to see if I can at least get the pump to run. That way I can see if the engine at least starts. Then there is the power to the inertia switch matter. While checking, I found the NO contact terminal goes through 2.7kohm to ground. I guess that is the PCM.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 14:16   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you connect power through the relay, it should have power at the inertia switch. What no cantact terminal are you referring to? Go to the Autozone website and look at their online manual for the diagram.
Old 12-18-2011, 14:19   #10 (permalink)

Re: Explorer EGR

That's the normally open contact on the relay - I bypassed the relay with a wire, no power at the inertial switch.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator