Explorer cracked tail gate - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:32   #1 (permalink)
Unregistered

Explorer cracked tail gate

My 2002 Explorer was recalled for replacing tail gate hinges because they were prone to cracking, which I had it done a year ago. Just in the last couple of days 2/2/06 I noticed a fine hair line crack on the tailgate just below the window, I ignored that but on 2/9/06 it developed into a full crack with about 1/16 inch gap. I called my dealer (Arlington Heigts Ford in IL) and they no nothing about it and refered me to their body shop they were not particular concerned about it but told me it would cost about $400.00 dollars to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 11:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Explorer cracked tail gate

The same thing happened to me. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I live in Renton, WA, about 20 minutes SE of Seattle. Our weather here for the past few days (Feb,15,16,17) has been about a low of 26 degrees Farenheit. Wednesday and Thursday morning, my vehicle was iced over, but not this morning. It felt just a lil bit warmer. Currently, the weather reads as 28 F. I stopped to get gas this morning before work, and approached my vehicle from the rear and didn't even notice it then, so I don't know if it was there at that time or not. When I arrived at work this morning I noticed that the tailgate panel that the ford "applique" is on (Just below the glass) was cracked about a couple inches from the center, with a 1/4 inch gap in between the cracks. I started thinking to myself how and when it could have happened, because there has been no impact to the rear of my vehicle. I didn't notice the crack last night when I drove it. My co-worker who was carpooling with me this morning suggested it might have something to do with the cold weather. I immediately googled "2002 Explorer cracked tailgate panel" when I got to my desk, and sure enough, there are a few forums where they are talking about the same problem. When thinking about it, it was even more weird, because there was no ice on my vehicle today, so I didn't even use my defrost, as I had Wednesday and Thursday, but i don't think it cracked until today. In my case, as I purchased my car used, I don't have warrantly coverage for it, so most likely I will have to pay out of pocket. But I am trying to find the part number for the panel, and also wanted to keep in touch with you and anyone else who had this problem to see how your situation is going. So I can formulate a plan of action. If you could e-mail me at rico5331@hotmail.com or PM me with any future developments. I would really appeciate it.

Thanks,

Rico
rico5331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Well it happened to me too. Last night a very cold night in the teens...i closed the upper tailgate of our 2002 explorer and got the same crack in the panel right below the window. 16th in gap as you described too. Sounds too coomon to be a fluke. I live in Lexington Park MD. Been very cold here for past 3 days and nights.

KB
Old 02-21-2006, 13:52   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
My 2002 Explorer was recalled for replacing tail gate hinges because they were prone to cracking, which I had it done a year ago. Just in the last couple of days 2/2/06 I noticed a fine hair line crack on the tailgate just below the window, I ignored that but on 2/9/06 it developed into a full crack with about 1/16 inch gap. I called my dealer (Arlington Heigts Ford in IL) and they no nothing about it and refered me to their body shop they were not particular concerned about it but told me it would cost about $400.00 dollars to replace it.
I have a 2003 Explorer LTD. The tailgate has a vertical crack about 10 inches to the left of the Ford emblem. I was also told that I'm on my own. I was also quoted the $400.00 to repair.
Old 02-21-2006, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico5331
The same thing happened to me. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I live in Renton, WA, about 20 minutes SE of Seattle. Our weather here for the past few days (Feb,15,16,17) has been about a low of 26 degrees Farenheit. Wednesday and Thursday morning, my vehicle was iced over, but not this morning. It felt just a lil bit warmer. Currently, the weather reads as 28 F. I stopped to get gas this morning before work, and approached my vehicle from the rear and didn't even notice it then, so I don't know if it was there at that time or not. When I arrived at work this morning I noticed that the tailgate panel that the ford "applique" is on (Just below the glass) was cracked about a couple inches from the center, with a 1/4 inch gap in between the cracks. I started thinking to myself how and when it could have happened, because there has been no impact to the rear of my vehicle. I didn't notice the crack last night when I drove it. My co-worker who was carpooling with me this morning suggested it might have something to do with the cold weather. I immediately googled "2002 Explorer cracked tailgate panel" when I got to my desk, and sure enough, there are a few forums where they are talking about the same problem. When thinking about it, it was even more weird, because there was no ice on my vehicle today, so I didn't even use my defrost, as I had Wednesday and Thursday, but i don't think it cracked until today. In my case, as I purchased my car used, I don't have warrantly coverage for it, so most likely I will have to pay out of pocket. But I am trying to find the part number for the panel, and also wanted to keep in touch with you and anyone else who had this problem to see how your situation is going. So I can formulate a plan of action. If you could e-mail me at rico5331@hotmail.com or PM me with any future developments. I would really appeciate it.

Thanks,

Rico
I live in Redmond Wa. I noticed the crack in same panel about 90 days ago. When I showed the Service Rep at Ford of Bellevue, I could tell he has seen this problem before. He told me it is not covered (though I have an Extended Service Agreement).
Old 02-21-2006, 17:45   #6 (permalink)
Unregistered

My 02 Explorer has done the same thing. I went to the body shop here in Huntsville, AL and they told me this was a common problem due to the rear washer fluid running down under this panel. I contacted Ford about this issue and I am still waiting to hear back from the dealership.
Old 02-21-2006, 18:25   #7 (permalink)

My 02 Explorer has cracked at the tailgate also. The dealer told me that this was common and that unless under factory warrenty that Ford will not fix it and that the customer will have to take care of it. It seems to me that this is not a isolated thing due to all of us having the same thing happen. I contacted Ford via phone and email and let them know what problem I was having. If everyone would do this maybe they will see that this is common and fix it without us coming out of pocket.
Kngnthn03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 18:35   #8 (permalink)

http://www.ford.com/en/support/conta...?source=botnav

I emailed Ford from this site.
Kngnthn03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator