Explorer engine drowning in gasoline - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31   #1 (permalink)

confused Explorer engine drowning in gasoline

I recently posted about some problems about my Explorer. Here is the latest trouble update. I had it towed to an electrical expert. He says the missing I was experiencing was because gasoline is being dumped into the engine like crazy and he doesn't know why. We have already replaced the EGR valve and put in another Mass Airflow sensor. Other things have been checked; so far it is all inconclusive. Cables check OK. Nothing is really sticking out as a cause. HELP! Anybody experince this problem?
maranjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 07:04   #2 (permalink)

confused Re: Explorer engine drowning in gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranjo
I recently posted about some problems about my Explorer. Here is the latest trouble update. I had it towed to an electrical expert. He says the missing I was experiencing was because gasoline is being dumped into the engine like crazy and he doesn't know why. We have already replaced the EGR valve and put in another Mass Airflow sensor. Other things have been checked; so far it is all inconclusive. Cables check OK. Nothing is really sticking out as a cause. HELP! Anybody experince this problem?
i am having the same problem have you managed to find out the fault ??
134isfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:45   #3 (permalink)
00gtr1

Re: Explorer engine drowning in gasoline

what year explorer? what engine? I suggest fuel press regulator.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:21   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: Explorer engine drowning in gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00gtr1
what year explorer? what engine? I suggest fuel press regulator.
its a 1998 4l v6 sohc all the fuel pressure is fine well the fuel pressure gauge says its fine its getting far to much fuel and fails to start due to the plugs getting soaked in fuel if u trip fuel switch it nearly starts but wont due to lack of fuel in the rail if you flick the switch on when it sounds like its about fire then it nearly goes but then soakes plugs due to the amount of fuel going in could it be the ecu ???? or can you get a faulty fuel pressure regulator???any help would be very much great ful
134isfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:52   #5 (permalink)
00gtr1

You need to check the exhaust for a restriction An easy way to check it is to get a small vacuum gauge and hook it to the DPFE hose and try to start the engine and watch the gauge if it pegs your exhaust is plugged. or you could just un bolt the exausht from the manifolds and try to start it. But before you do that remove your plugs clean them. and crank the engine over to get all excees fuel from the cylinders. then put ypur plugs back in and I'll bet it starts. hope this helps
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 17:54   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Sounds like an ECT or IAT telling the PCM the wrong readings causing the flood.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 18:17   #7 (permalink)

roll Re: Explorer engine drowning in gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 134isfast
i am having the same problem have you managed to find out the fault ??
OK. Here's what they found. There was a blown LOWER intake gasket(there is an upper and a lower gasket). With this it would flood cold or warm. After it was replaced then it would do it again when warmed up. This time they found a problem in the wiring harness under the air filter on the lines that fed to the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor)& the IAT (Intake Air Temperature sensor). They also replaced the sensors while they were at it.
We now have a problem with either the fuel pump or the harness feeding it. This thing has been a lot of trouble so far.
maranjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator