Explorer Rear A/C (roof vents) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 23:19   #1 (permalink)

Explorer Rear A/C (roof vents)

Hello everybody, I have searched all over the Forums and the vast ocean of google pages, but have not found an answer.

I have a 2006 explorer eddie bauer, but it doesn't have the rear A/C option. (the one with the roof vents). this is frustating since i thought eddie bauers had this as a standard option.

It does have some rear vents on the middle console. So what i want to do is convert or add the roof vents and have A/C for my 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Since i am shipping my truck to the caribbean I dont have any need for Heat in the back, but the rear A/C is more than a luxury, is a necesity.

What i found is that the compressor is different, so i can only guess the rear probably uses a seperate condensor.

Has anybody attempted this mod ? what parts will i need to do this?
Or, Can i bring this to the dealer and have them add the option ?

Any ideas will be appreciated..
biomedico555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Explorer Rear A/C (roof vents)

The rear vents on the middle console are fed through the front HVAC system and are commonplace among newer vehicles.

What your asking is for a headache. I'll be as straightforward as I can here and say that you'd be better off trading it in for one that has rear air if you need it that badly. Why? Because the A/C line that would run the rear condenser runs through the B pillar, which means complete disassembly of the roof, right side B pillar and the dash to feed the new A/C lines through. To top it off you'd need a higher capacity compressor, a new HVAC panel on the dash, add to that the required electrical connections, not to mention install the rear blower assembly with the controls, condenser and A/C lines. You're looking at a months worth of work M-F plus $2K in parts if you do it yourself, and you'll have to get a certified tech to leak test and fill the A/C system once it's complete. The dealer would probably charge $3-5K depending on where they can get the parts from. If they order everything new, right down to the roof trim add another $1-2K to the price. A new compressor alone can run $400.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 21:10   #3 (permalink)

Re: Explorer Rear A/C (roof vents)

360Ci:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I was not aware of what was involved in this mod.
Thanks to you i now understand that this is NOT a doable mod. Case Closed !!
biomedico555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator