Explorer stalls? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 16:19   #1 (permalink)

confused Explorer stalls?

I have an 01 sport trac....sometimes then i go to stop at a stop light or slow down the rpms dip below 1 on the dash and then jump to like 2.5.... and then stalls when i try to accelerate...one time it did this and i had to bunny hop across the high way...my mechanic looked at it and its not throwing codes and the check engine light doesnt come on and it starts up fine if u let it sit for awhile....any ideas what this could be?

oh and it has a high pitched whine when i put my foot on the gas at about 40 mph....is that the differential? because we replaced all the belts in the engine and still it whines!

Thanks for any replys in advance im getting really frustrated...
nanin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Explorer stalls?

You'll have to narrow down the 'whine' you hear. It could be the rear diff, front diff (if 4x4), or even the most common area - the serp belt tension pulley itself. There are ways to test, even a slightly GOOD mechanic should be able to find the source of the sound rather easily.

As for the erratic RPMs, it'll take some troubleshooting to get it sorted out if there are no engine codes. I'd start with replacing a few usual sensors such as the IAC (idle speed controller) and TPS (throttle position sensor) as they are the most likely ones to be causing the problem. Both are located on the throttle body. The IAC can be cleaned if you're careful not to move the plunger in the sensor. Spray it down with carb cleaner, wipe dry and reinstall. The TPS cannot be cleaned successfully as it's sealed. Both sensors will run $40-60 depending on where you get it from. Aftermarket sensors tend to be less expensive than dealer parts, so shop around!

Other folks will offer their suggestions shortly!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:09   #3 (permalink)

we checked all sensors already and the fuel pump... anything that we could think of and still it stalls...
as for whe whine...its a high pitched like a tea kettle and its coming from the rear...we checked the engine and my mechanic drove it and said he had no clue what is was...maybe time for a new mechanic?

My back wheels almost kind of "Slip" around curves sometimes too like a jerky kind of motion...so im pretty sure its my differential...but its been like that since i bought the truck over a year ago....if its the differential did i do even more damage by driving it like that?

Already filling out paper work to buy a new car, if i dont figure this out soon....been going on for a year now and i can't be breaking down on the high way anymore...
nanin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:55   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Yeah. It's a bugger to pinpoint any problems that aren't in-your-face. If the diff is slipping chances are it's on its way out. I wouldn't drive it too much like that. If the fluid hasn't been serviced in a while, it'd be a good idea to get fresh fluid in there, and have the diff inspected.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator