factory recall issued - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2003, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

factory recall issued

just a quik note to let some of you know there has been a recall issued for 1996-2002 explorers and mountaineers.
the recall is to address a problem bolt that attaches the seat recliner mechanism to the drivers seat frame.
this bolt is to be replaced due to the possability of breakage which can cause the seat to recline all the way back until it contacts the second row seat.
if this occurs while driving it would result in loss of control due to lose of grip with either the pedals or steering wheel.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 23:29   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: factory recall issued

Wow what a thing to happen. That would completely suck if it did.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:49   #3 (permalink)

Yeah i wouldnt like that to happen.
I know what it was like when i first tried to adjust my seat backwards (in my first car). I'll never do that again.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
RATfink Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
Wow what a thing to happen. That would completely suck if it did.
thats a blunt way to put it.lol.
OlSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:13   #5 (permalink)

I have a 02 mountianeer, not heard on a recall other than the lift cylinders.
Sure had my share of transmission problems, all fixed under warranty.
runner102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 16:41   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner102
I have a 02 mountianeer, not heard on a recall other than the lift cylinders.
Sure had my share of transmission problems, all fixed under warranty.
Can I ask what tranny problems you've had ?I have one I thougt was the torque converter
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D
Can I ask what tranny problems you've had ?I have one I thougt was the torque converter
I too have a 02 MM. I was told yesterday that my entire transmission needs to be replaced because there is a grove in the aluminum transmission case that cannot be repaired. This was diagnosed through a test drive and the mechanics 'past experience'. The transmission was not pulled apart to diagnose this problem. The dealership also mentioned the servo cover cast into the transmission case as part of the problem. They want to charge me $4000 to fix and replace the transmission.

I understand that Ford is fixing transmission on 04 Explorers and Mountaineers because the solenoid is not working properly with the transmission fluid that was installed during the manufacturing process. For more details, go to http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t=1020

Can anyone tell me if these two situations are related? I'm not a mechanic, don't know much about cars, and I'm not going to just drop $4000 on a vehicle that is 3.5 years old with 70,000 miles. I don't know what to do next, other than rent a car. Thanks!
mtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:10   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtripp
I too have a 02 MM. I was told yesterday that my entire transmission needs to be replaced because there is a grove in the aluminum transmission case that cannot be repaired. This was diagnosed through a test drive and the mechanics 'past experience'. The transmission was not pulled apart to diagnose this problem. The dealership also mentioned the servo cover cast into the transmission case as part of the problem. They want to charge me $4000 to fix and replace the transmission.

I understand that Ford is fixing transmission on 04 Explorers and Mountaineers because the solenoid is not working properly with the transmission fluid that was installed during the manufacturing process. For more details, go to http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t=1020

Can anyone tell me if these two situations are related? I'm not a mechanic, don't know much about cars, and I'm not going to just drop $4000 on a vehicle that is 3.5 years old with 70,000 miles. I don't know what to do next, other than rent a car. Thanks!
Can you tell me the symtoms....Mine sounds like an exhaust rattle...More at idle than anything....Already replaced torque converter...
Thanks, Steve D
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 16:40   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you tell me the symtoms....Mine sounds like an exhaust rattle...More at idle than anything....Already replaced torque converter...
Thanks, Steve D
I really didn't have many symptoms until the car would not move forward when I pressed the accelerator. Basically, I knew immediately that there was a transmission problem. Looking back, the only possible symptom that I recall is the times when there was a loud, heavy sound putting the car in reverse. All I heard was the sound; there was never an issue with the car actually moving in reverse. Hope this helps.
mtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: factory recall issued

Quote:
Thanks, Steve D
i have same problem in my 95 explorer sounds like lifter at bell house and i have replaced the fly wheel and the converter if you find out what it is email me i would like to know its our car audio comp truck i thought i may have virbated it lose ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator