Feedback Request on Front Hub Bearings Estimate on a 2003 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 19:30   #1 (permalink)

Question Feedback Request on Front Hub Bearings Estimate on a 2003

Hi all,
Just got an estimate from the Ford dealer to replace both front hub bearings on my 2003 (77,126 miles). The cost is $360 for 4.0 hours of labor and $402 for OE parts for a total of $762. They also stated that I have 10% left on the rear brakes and I was quoted $225 for 2.5 hours of labor and $80 for parts. The labor includes machining the rotors and lubing the caliper slides. They also mentioned that sometimes they need to replace the e-brake shoes and if they do that will run $180 for 2.0 hours of labor and $132 for parts for a total of $332 . Lastly, they recommend a brake flush and $90 for 1.0 of labor and $43 for parts for a total of $133.00. The grand total including tax is $1644.62 . For the record, I've mentioned the bearing noise to them over the last year and this is the first time they isolated with a stethoscope. Everything is tight underneath, it just sounds like driving on a flat tire. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks!
geigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 16:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Feedback Request on Front Hub Bearings Estimate on a 2003

Ok, Hub bearings are ~$160 ea for BCA National brand & labor calls for 1.6hrs to change both sides - looks like they are hitting you for more than double.
Rear brakes on these trucks are a breeze - again labor quoted is high, book labor calls for 1.3hrs. Parking brake very rarely wears - lining is very thin to start with, more problems with hardware rusting up from infrequent use.
I am not a fan of all the flushes dealers offer. Hydraulic brakes are a sealed system, unless contaminated from moisture or debris, leave the system alone.
Good Luck,
Corky
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10   #3 (permalink)

Re: Feedback Request on Front Hub Bearings Estimate on a 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
Ok, Hub bearings are ~$160 ea for BCA National brand & labor calls for 1.6hrs to change both sides - looks like they are hitting you for more than double.
Rear brakes on these trucks are a breeze - again labor quoted is high, book labor calls for 1.3hrs. Parking brake very rarely wears - lining is very thin to start with, more problems with hardware rusting up from infrequent use.
I am not a fan of all the flushes dealers offer. Hydraulic brakes are a sealed system, unless contaminated from moisture or debris, leave the system alone.
Good Luck,
Corky
Thanks Corky. Looks like I got a quote from the cleaners. I'll shop some independents for better pricing. It seems that OE parts may not be better than aftermarket in this case. Thanks again.
geigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator