Ford Forums banner

First Drive: 2016 Ford Explorer

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
#3 ·
??? According to the (link) writeup there are still a few engine and wheel drive choices for 2016, with the Explorer equivalent of AWD/4WD being one.

Having owned a 5-truck string of F-150 4X4s and several Taurii as well as the (FWD) Seville STS over the 90s and 00s - living 0.6 miles down a dirt/gravel road in deep woods, eastern Maryland (home of fog, sloppy snow and rain) - I can testify that, in all but 18" of snow, the FWD vehicles are just fine when it comes to traction and handling in some pretty crummy conditions, and I expect this FWD 2014 XLT to be just as good.

Not being an off-roader or mountain climber, I'll accept the 1 - 2 mpg increase and one less gearbox to maintain. For the Caroline County twisties and long straights (private farm roads and an abandoned airstrip) the STS satisfies my need for speed - it's a Z-car and will easily do 143 (GPS), so the Explorer will be the gofer and mulch hauler.

#4 ·
Even the previous gen, this unibody SUV should be renamed. Although advertised as a 'four wheel drive' SUV, it's car based architecture only allows for a FWD based AWD system where you can't lock the axles. Then again I'm not 'most owners' that Ford is marketing the SUV toward as I actually use my vehicles for what they can do, or are capable of. Unibody SUV's are more reliable in FWD form and the 2014 AWD I drove with the V6 last year spun the front tires quite a bit in the winter and engaging the rear wheels seemed to have quite the lag even when in 'snow mode'. I understand there needs to be cost cutting while trying to market to modern families who have never been camping but would like to give it a try. The Expedition at least stayed true to form despite the platform now being outdated. A 300+ hp anything in my area cries for a good AWD system. I noticed that Acura is detuning it's vehicles with the new 9 speed transmission in the lower gears due to lack of driveability off the line. The FWD Explorer V6 and 6 speed auto is still a great well tuned combination in my book for everyday driving. But then you need to ask if the Taurus wouldn't fit the bill better as it resides on the same platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.