Ford Explorer 1997 Petrol sandy58 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37   #1 (permalink)

Ford Explorer 1997 Petrol sandy58

I have a problem with my ignition electronic locking device.
(the fob on my keyring for unlocking/locking/ignition starting device) I pulled into the police station today. When I came out the car refused to start due, I think, to the radio transmitter on the cop-shop roof. This has happened before (stopping near a magnetic strip at the supermarket) I found a way round that by pointing my keyring actuator at a point below the front of the rear seat centre) This time I am too close to the radio mast and it is totally killing my electronic actuator. My car sleeps in the police yard tonight. Is there any way to totally over-ride this device and start my car again, guys? I even tried the tinfoil bit, covering the back seat with is (in a vain attempt to keep out the radio mast signal. I might as well have worn the tinfoil as a HAT!) Any help gratefully received, guys.
sandy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Ford Explorer 1997 Petrol sandy58

Never heard of that before . You would think it would affect the police cars also ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Can you not push it out of yard to verify your theory with the radio transmitter ?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11   #4 (permalink)

Hi, RSLogan. Glad your there. I always park about 50 yards away from the copshop but that area was full. So I pulled into the visitors carpark or the station. The first time it happened was in the 50 yards place I had the RAC guy over and discovered that the "receiver sensor" (for want of a better name for it) was around the centre of my rear seat low down. So I, at that time, pointed the keyring fob at that loint and it worked but this time I was in the cops yard, right below the radio mast and it is dead. Is ther any way to turn the anti-theft setup off till I get away from there? I can't get it pushed out as there is a hill right outside with cars parke on the other side of the small street and with no engine I have no brakes or steering? Catch22 with a vengeance.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

We are not allowed to post on how to disable anti theft systems on the forum for obvious reasons .Are you sure that's what it is and not a flat battery either in car or remote ? I used to go round to the police garage many times with different cars to borrow tools etc . and literally park under the radio / communications mast without any problems . Of course they may be a lot stronger nowadays but surprised it only affects your car .
Old 02-07-2013, 10:44   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm sure if you asked nicely the Granite City's finest would oblige you with a tow and help out ?
Old 02-07-2013, 14:05   #7 (permalink)

I was actually in the police station to enquire about something and went back in to let them know about my problem. Not a lot of positive response, so plan B. I was told by someone about the module in the left side panel (where the jack sits) about disabling the security but not sure if that would be just the alarm or if it would all be disabled, so I'll give that a go tomorrow. Does it sound reasonable to you? to you?
Old 02-07-2013, 14:14   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Is this the module ?

Computer Module location

• 1995 thru 2001 is located in the jack storage compartment in the rear of your Explorer. First remove the panel to the jack storage compartment. Towards the front of this area you should see a metal box this is your auto-lock module(way up front next to your rear left passenger seat). On the back side of this is your 5 digit code factory preset code. It is hard to get to. To see it you will have to loosen, pull, use a flashlight or a mirror but it can be done.
Old 02-07-2013, 14:42   #9 (permalink)

OK, RSL. I'll be having a go at this tomorrow. Failing that, I'll try to organize a trailer just to get free of the "Evil Dead Zone". :-) Thanks for all your help, RSL. I'll let you know the end of the saga later.
ATB.
sandy58
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38   #10 (permalink)

I went into the Police Station car park this morning, opened the tailgate, left panel and stuck the keyring fob into the storage space and pressed the button. Click! all door locks went down. I then unlocked (using actuator again), tried the ignition key and the engine started immediately. Once again, R.S.LOGAN, thank you very much for your invaluable help. I won't forget that tip in a hurry, I can assure you.
sandy58 :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator

Related Reading: Ford Explorer 1997 Petrol sandy58