fuel system problems...please help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation fuel system problems...please help

I have a 2003 explorer that is having some fuel system problems. I accidentally put two cycle (premix) gas in my tank and is obviously having some trouble, thanks for any help...

the shop replaced the catalytic converter, spark plugs, fuel regulator, fuel pump, and fuel filter. after replacing all of this the only problem that remains is at the pump, the car runs fine although it likes to stall when it gets below a quarter tank, but when pumping gas it will only allow a small amount of gas until the pump shuts off. it takes about fifteen minutes to fill the tank. i was thinking that it could be a vapor lock, although to my understanding it is when the liquid changes to a gas due to heat from the engine or climate, sometimes altitude, but this doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem. i checked the tank to make sure the shop didn't plug anything to release the vapor or pressure. the only solution that i could come up with is to run a line from the top of the tank and then back into the fuel line below the opening to relieve the gas or possible pressure. If anyone can help or has experience with this please let me know. thank you much.
ExplorerGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: fuel system problems...please help

Something was put in wrong when the tank was out. They need to repair that. You can't modify the tank due to the emission system. You'd get a check engine light for sure.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:29   #3 (permalink)

thanks Bert, I'm going to take it back to the shop, its just frustrating to spend that much only to have another problem that they said would go away with time...bs, but we'll see what happens after it take it in.

Kirstie
ExplorerGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 22:07   #4 (permalink)

try different pumps at different stations that woked for me i had the same problem.
fitzsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 19:35   #5 (permalink)

WHOA you should not have replace anything, a couple of gallons of pre-mix isn't going to do any damage,just dilute with a full tank you couldn't have put more than a few gallons in.
Anyway have a different shop check your fill valve the first one already took you for a good ride I think that the rubber neck that attaches to the tank might be slightly bent causing fuel to splash back on the fill nozzle try to pull the nozzle back a half inch the next time you fill up
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator