Ford Forums banner

Hauling Question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while, I had my internet cut off. Anywho, I am going to be moving from OH to CO in about a month or less and I am going to be hauling a 1990 buick century on a uhaul tow dolly (only mounts 2 front wheels). I have never pulled a car for that long of a distance before, If you guys have any tips for a novice like myself they would be greatly appreciated. For example, what do I drive my mountaineer on? Do I turn Over Drive off.

A few things about my Mountaineer. It's a 2002 V8 AWD with a 4.6 engine & I have the class 3 hitch. This is going to be about an 18 hour long drive. Let me know what you think. Ps. My mountaineer will have almost 60K miles on it by then.

#6 ·
I drive a 2000 F-350 V10 gas, unsure of ratio in rear end and pull a 10,000lb 5th wheel trailer. I was told by a friend to always haul with overdrive in off which gives 2500rpm at 60mph. Once I get rolling the OD will kick in and drop the RPM to 2000. Should I always turn the OD off when hauling even if it will come on when up to speed?

bryana@general

#7 ·
I'd keep the OD off. For the sake of 10% better fuel mileage vs having your transmission overheat, it's best to keep the rpms up for better performance. If your running 2000rpm at 60mph you probably have the 4.10 axle ratio. The 3.73 should run around 1800rpm and the 4.30 ratio will run around 2150rpm with standard dually tire size. If you have the OD off, OD should not come on at all when driving at any speed. If your driving down flat terrain and not giving it more than 25-30% throttle at any time you'll be OK to pull with OD on. Best thing to do is to install a transmission temperature gauge. Just remember that the lower the engine rpms = the less cooling the transmission will receive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.