Ford Forums banner

Hauling - V8

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
what is the most you have hauled with your Ford Explorer V8- specifically the 1998?

I am asking as I am soon to recieve an RV that is about 25 ft in length. Just curious as to whether or not it would do it. I have faith in my Ford but want to keep it. :driver: :hy:

#2 ·
First, you'd better have a tranny cooler.... a big one, like a four pass, not one of them finned soda straws. And add an engine oil cooler if you don't already have one (not sure if a '98 V8 has one or not).

Second, look in your owner's manual, and it should give towing capacities based on engine, transmission and axle ratio.

You'll have to know the gross weight of the trailer; 10% of that should be tongue weight, and that figure will determine whether you need an equalizer hitch (probably will). Also, with an Explorer towing that long a trailer, you'll also need a sway arrestor.

G
#3 ·
I have a '98 V-8 and haul a a boat/trailer that weigh about 3600-4000 lbs. when the boat is full of gas and equipment. The trailer length is 24 feet and I use only Ford's stock Class IV hitch. I've had not any problems hauling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.