Headlamps not working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 06:22   #1 (permalink)

Headlamps not working

I am looking for some advice. I have a 1996 Explorer and the headlamps and foglights have stopped working. The headlamp switch has been replaced as well as the headlamp relay under the dash, but neither has solved the problem. The headlamps do work when the stick is pulled to "flash-to-pass" position, so it appears to be in the regular circuit somewhere.

Thanks in advance
jmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: Headlamps not working

Do your blinkers work at all? Reason i ask is it may be the blinker assembly in the sterring colum. The whole blinker thing may need to be replaced. All you would have to do is take the plastic off around the steering column and there are I think two screws holding the blinker asembly to the column.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 17:06   #3 (permalink)

I have a 92 Explorer and found it not to be the turn signal assy, but actually the harness that plugs into it. It had cracked and the connections were loose. A new harness is costly but go to a "pick and pull" yard and get ya another connector and some length of wiring for a splice.
Micky_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky_B
I have a 92 Explorer and found it not to be the turn signal assy, but actually the harness that plugs into it. It had cracked and the connections were loose. A new harness is costly but go to a "pick and pull" yard and get ya another connector and some length of wiring for a splice.
That was going to be my next idea. My grandma had a 94 Taurus that that happend to. We had to replace the switch and the plug attached to it.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98shotoy
Do your blinkers work at all? Reason i ask is it may be the blinker assembly in the sterring colum. The whole blinker thing may need to be replaced. All you would have to do is take the plastic off around the steering column and there are I think two screws holding the blinker asembly to the column.
The blinkers do work.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky_B
I haven't opened up the steering column to see. I will open it up tonight and take a look. I hope this isn't the issue, but we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator