heater fan acting up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 12:53   #1 (permalink)
BugBoy

confused heater fan acting up

i have a 94 explorer and the heater fan acts up on me somtimes when i turn it on it wont blow. after a while i will try it again and it wont work. it just keeps doing this to me sometimes it will work and somtimes it wont no matter what i do, im thinkign that it might just be a loose connection but ........... any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 17:22   #2 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

Re: heater fan acting up

If you were driving an Aus Falcon first thing I'd look at is the Resistor switch(not sure if thats its correct name).
Under the Glove compartment screwed into the heater box. Small plastic thing with 2 or 3 coils & like a relay/switch thing.
Symptons include fan will run o.k on highest speed but not on the others.
Prolly totally different in Explorers lol
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Happy lil Vegemite

p.s normally what kills them is arcing between the contacts.
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AL-
I'd look at is the Resistor switch(not sure if thats its correct name).
Under the Glove compartment screwed into the heater box. Small plastic thing with 2 or 3 coils & like a relay/switch thing.
Symptons include fan will run o.k on highest speed but not on the others.
i suggest trying this first and this will help you determine if it is the resisters or actually the motor.
actually i have found that more chevy's have this bad resister setup than fords but it should be the first thing to check.
if the motor does not run at all in any position of the switch then try moving the wires around and see if the connector is loose.
after that pull apart the connector and check the voltage inside on high the voltage should be the same as the battery and obviously less with each lower setting.
if this is found to be true then at this point the motor itself will need to be replaced.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator