High beam lamps will not shut off. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 13:53   #1 (permalink)

confused High beam lamps will not shut off.

I have a 1996 explorer with the factory alarm. The high beam lamps came on in the middle of the night a few days ago and have been coming on every so often while driving or while parked.
Now heres the catch:
I have pulled the high beam relay, unpluged the module in the column and even pulled the high beam fuse but the lamps stay on. The electrical drawing I have shows that this is impossible.
I was wondering if there would be a wire from the alarm module that would be causing this or if anyone else is having the same problem.
fordge48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 14:15   #2 (permalink)

confused Re: High beam lamps will not shut off.

Looking online for answers to that myself. Got a 2008 Mercury Milan today and the high beams won't turn off. Service is closed so I'm studk figuring it out unti Monday...
cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 20:00   #3 (permalink)

Re: High beam lamps will not shut off.

I unplugged my daytime running lights module and that fixed the problem.

Last edited by fordge48; 01-27-2008 at 20:02. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2009, 15:15   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordge48 View Post
I unplugged my daytime running lights module and that fixed the problem.
i own a 94 ford explorer limited... whenever it rains or storm my headlights and tails come on and it won't turn off... the olny way i can get the lights to turn off is to disconnect the battery... i wanna know where the hell is my daytime running light module located on my explorer?
drw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 19:46   #5 (permalink)

Mine was located in front of the left front tire behind the bumper. I had to lay down in front of the tire to get at it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2009, 13:52   #6 (permalink)

My guess would be a sticky relay or water getting into the relay box. Is the cover on the relay box under the hood? Are all of your splash shields in place to prevent spray from getting into your engine bay?

You can test and check your relays here...

This is a link to a Nissan forum that I am on but the relays are basically the same for all cars. If they hesitate or stick then they need to be replaced right away.

300zxClub.com (Nissan 300ZX Forums)
Old 04-12-2009, 18:41   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker View Post
My guess would be a sticky relay or water getting into the relay box. Is the cover on the relay box under the hood? Are all of your splash shields in place to prevent spray from getting into your engine bay?

You can test and check your relays here...

This is a link to a Nissan forum that I am on but the relays are basically the same for all cars. If they hesitate or stick then they need to be replaced right away.

300zxClub.com (Nissan 300ZX Forums)
I spent a lot of money on expensive ford relays that were just fine so don't waist your money unless you are sure. My problem turned out to be a faulty daytime running light module. Unpluging it fixed the problem. I just have to turn my headlights on when I drive now. The ford electrical diagrams do not show the module so it makes you think it may be a relay. This is a common problem with ford along with many other things.
ie. peeling paint, heater blending door failure, seatbelts releasing,....
No wonder these companys are in trouble. I personaly am getting sick of fixing substandard equipment.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:00   #8 (permalink)

your getting power from enouther wire you will have to track it down or run new wire
jesatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator