Ford Forums banner

Misfire Cyclinder 4

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
I have check engine code about misfire in cylinder 4, i have changed spark plugs and ignition wires, after that i reset ECU and was not getting code again, however engine vibrates on idle randomly and cannot hold steady idle RPM, i assumed it was a idle valve issue.

Was driving on freeway for a while at 70 miles per hour however misfire code did not come on, but after taking car to smog shop i had it back, why is that?

I am considering cleaning injectors next, but i'd need to know which exact cylinder on the engine is number 4?

#4 ·
1998 explorer sport 121,000 miles.

I have checked fuel trims and they are normal no more than 10 poins positive or negative and then goes back to about 3. Also checked vaccum leak with cigarette smoke and i could not see it coming out of anywhere.

However it has problem keeping idle is not steady at all engine shaking badly, actually it did not do as bad after i replaced the plugs and wires couple hundred miles ago.

Power is good however it hesitates for a seconds before accelerating when you press pedal to the floor.

I noticed spark plugs tips on driver side of engine were somewhat dry and orange and on passenger side of engine are wet black what does it signify?

Attachments

#11 ·
I am adding about half gallon (distilled water) per hour drive or so. Also i see oil in the coolant (water) i have suspicion its transmission fluid because now my transmission went from full level to low in about 1000 miles. I could change radiator its just $110 bucks for new aftermarket one.

Is there some test i can do to make sure radiator failed?

P.S. tranny fluid odd greenish/yelowish color.

P.P.S. Engine oil is at constant full level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.