Mountianeer Stalling all the time - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 10:09   #1 (permalink)

Mountianeer Stalling all the time

hey guys.

I have a 1999 Mountianeer v6 4.0. It has been starting rough and just yesterday it started to stall all the time. Now I cannot take my foot off of the gas without it stalling.

I do not have a check engine light.

I did some reading and it looks like the IAC is what I need to replace.

where is that in the car? and should I clean that 1st before replacing it? I have little knowledge of cars and I want to learn so I do not have to pay the dealership a ton of money to get it fixed. can you help me out?

jon
tinyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 20:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mountianeer Stalling all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyjon
hey guys.

I have a 1999 Mountianeer v6 4.0. It has been starting rough and just yesterday it started to stall all the time. Now I cannot take my foot off of the gas without it stalling.

where is that in the car? and should I clean that 1st before replacing it? I have little knowledge of cars and I want to learn so I do not have to pay the dealership a ton of money to get it fixed. can you help me out?

jon
Have a 1997 Mountaineer...same problem for past 4 months. Tried switching gas, alcohol in tank...still lags and stalls...would appreciate any input.
hoeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 20:53   #3 (permalink)

my wifes aerostar had the same problem. go to the air filter box and follow the large rubber intake tube back towards the motor. you should come to a spot close to where the tube connects to the intake with a big hose clamp around it. go past the end of the clamp onto the aluminum intake about an inch to three inches or so, and on top, you will see the iac solenoid, it is bolted down with two bolts is barrel shaped with two or three wires coming out the end of it. it looks like a C size flashlight battery sitting on it's side, with the wires coming out of the end. it is about two inches long, and maybe an inch around. it is an electromechanical device. there may be a small hard plastic cover over it. if so, take the cover off, unbolt it and unplug the wires, the bottom will have a lot of black carbon on it, and there is a small shaft inside that will be dirty too. try spraying it with electrical contact cleaner, if that don't do it, spray it with carb cleaner, then lube the shaft with wd 40, make sure it's dry, then stick it back in. otherwise buy a new one at autozone. the ford dealer will charge you 78 bucks for one. hope this helps
bob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:39   #4 (permalink)

tinyjon - sounds like the problem I had last year with my 99 Explorer.
I still had a warranty then so the dealership worked on it (no money, but tons of aggro). Among other things, they changed the IAC and fuel pump.
Did you get it replaced? Did it work?
grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 22:21   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyjon
hey guys.

jon
Try this site as it gives pretty easy to follow directions for replacing the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800b98f5.jsp
MrPippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 17:39   #6 (permalink)

tinyjon- I am still having this problem. Did this work for you?
Old 05-04-2007, 19:16   #7 (permalink)

It's the Idol Air Control Valve. Your better of replacing it then messing around cleaning it. Go to your local autozone or other part store. It cost about 39.99. Better off replacing it then having it go bad again somewhere you don't wanna be.
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 17:54   #8 (permalink)

Had this problem with my "97 mounatineer, Replaced the IAC. Bought it at autozone today. $42.99. Hasn't stalled yet.
Old 08-19-2007, 17:56   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Bob40. Your info was right on. Of course because I found the info online, my boyfriend and the mechanic next door ignored it, and kept searching for other causes. Replaced the AIC today. Runs GREAT! Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2007, 17:51   #10 (permalink)

May have been a little hasty. Mountaineer is still stalling...less than before though. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator