Ford Forums banner

my 2001 explorer is over heating

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  backlash1 
#1 ·
Hi
I have a 01 explorer sport with a 4.0 ltr The truck started to over heat today after about 5min of drive time it has 160km on the truck I didn't let it get to the boiling point. shut it off to cool. came back afew hours l8tr and the same thing happend. I was thinking thermastat but don't the normally get stuck open?
Any Help would be great I need the truck for work:driver:

#2 ·
Thermostats can also stick shut.... not as common, but it does happen. Could also be that the water pump has given up the ghost. Also, the radiator core and/or block passages could be plugged and need a good flushing. Check coolant level as well.

#5 ·
GJSmackdown said:
Best bet is to take it to a garage and have a full service cooling flush done on it, exspecially if one's never been done before. It'll take care of your problem immediately instead of replacing one part at a time to find the issue.
We're not trying to tell him to replace all these parts, but rather where to look for possible problems, so he doesn't have to take the car to a mechanic and get charged an arm and a leg for something he could have done himself.
Cooling systems are very basic and easy to diagnose, unlike say wiring problems. I think if he took the time to register and post here and ask for help he should get it. After all, if everyone took their car to the mechanic all the time what would be the purpose of having this Forum? cheers
marc
:hy:

#6 ·
Want check over everything yourself that's fine. But now a days people don't have that kind of time to waste. Personally I hate screwing around with finding the "issue". I'm lucky enough to have a trusted garage who is good at what they do. It all depends on if your comfortable with checking everything you need to check.

#7 ·
Good for you. I am VERY comfortable at finding "issues" with my cars and those of other people, and have ABSOLUTELY no problem "wasting" my time to help less fortunate people out. BTW, I also don't have a problem with people taking their cars to the mechanics. I am one. Level 1 Master Tech and Head tech at my dealership.

marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.