newb here... got some issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01   #1 (permalink)

newb here... got some issues

<table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">just wanted to say hi.. i just picked up a 98 mountaineer w/ a 5.0. according to the odo, it's got 250,000 but i imagine it's a different cluster than what it came with. but anywho, it looks great, i'll toss a pic up here in a sec. i have an issue. runs excellent with the exception of a misfire. scantool says cyl 4 and 7. after following the wires to the coil and seeing that they are opposite on the same coil, i swapped the coils to see if it would change. STILL says cyl 4 and 7. so i figured i'd change the plugs and wires because it couldnt hurt. NOW there's still a misfire, but now theres a backfire coming from the exhaust. doesnt do it in P or N, but in R or D, it does. it's not constant like everytime a certain cyl fires, but somewhat erratic now. we changed 1 wire at a time to make sure not to get them wrong on the coils, and i went over them all to make sure they were all on good.
festerfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 07:19   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: newb here... got some issues

Congrats on the purchase!

As you mentioned the problem occurs when in drive or reverse, it might be a sensor as the vehicle is 'in gear' and under some load from the transmission. I gather you did gap the plugs to the proper spec before you installed them?
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 21:12   #3 (permalink)

done... figured it out.. was plugs initially. changed the wires also but i grew up w/ gm engines where one bank had 1, 3, 5, 7, and the other was 2, 4, 6, 8. my brother changed the 2 plugs i told him but what i thought was cyl 4 and 7 like my scanner told me, he actually changed 4 and 6. we eventually changed all plugs, and wires, and got a look at an alldata printout telling me i had the wires mixed up. at one point, we were running on cyl's 1 and 8 ONLY!! my dads hyundai was lookin good then! everything is back to good now tho. it's a 5.0 finally. kinda tired feelin, what's the best place to start w/ some mods?? are exhausts simple for these?? i see the stock muffler is a dual inlet muffler.. prob be a PITA to run duals on. what are some decent "bank for the buck" mods for the 5.0?
festerfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 15:51   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Awesome, glad you got'r sorted out!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16   #5 (permalink)

best bang TorqueMonsterHeaders.com
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator