NO-START WOES - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31   #1 (permalink)

NO-START WOES

Hello, Fordsters out there: I hope someone can help me. I'm working on a '97
explorer with 4.0 sohc. It will crank but won't start. This is what I've checked
so far: cam position sensor, crank sensor (after verifying supply voltage to ignition module). According to the manual I'm using, if you disconnect the cam position sensor plug and turn the key on, there should be 1.5 volts present at that plug: it's missing. I checked the connector at the pcm (wiring diagram available) and all dc voltages and ground connections appear good: there were no broken wires between the cam and crank position sensor plugs and the pcm connector, yet the 1.5 volts is missing. I bought another pcm and tried that. Still nothing!!! ANY IDEAS, ANYONE??!! By the way, this started out as an intermittent problem. The owner would complain of the no-start condition, then, after the vehicle would sit for a few days, it would start right up and run fine for a little while (longest period about two weeks) and then not start again.

Last edited by joelsford; 02-28-2013 at 11:34. Reason: additional info re
joelsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: NO-START WOES

Any codes? I'm assuming so since your chasing the crank and cam.
Old 03-02-2013, 15:48   #3 (permalink)

No, and that's another puzzling aspect of this whole thing. You would expect to find codes if info wasn't being Rxed/Txed. There's gotta be something I'm
not catching, and I hope to find out what it is. I'm open for any suggestions.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you checked fuel pressure? Is it the ignition that's failing?
Old 03-02-2013, 20:13   #5 (permalink)

No, the ignition system is ok (as far as I've tested): the coil pack is getting 12V. It's not getting any trigger pulses from the ecm. As far as fuel pressure,
the ecm turns the pump on initially at key-on, which it's supposed to do, but during cranking there's no fuel pump turn-on from the ecm, which, according to the service info I have, needs to see pulses from the cam sensor to turn the fuel pump on when cranking. There's also supposed to be a small voltage to the cam and crank sensors from the ecm, but this voltage is missing, which made me think the ecm was bad, but I installed another unit and still no luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

What you're describing sounds like a faulty switch to me, I'd check the PCM power relay. You may have carbon build up or arcing damage to the internal contacts.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f8021b98b.gif
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22   #7 (permalink)

Having pretty much the same problem with my '99 explorer Sport 4.0 SHOC. Wouldn't start yesterday so I gave it a little shot of ether and still nothing. Removed and replaced the key and still nothing. Slammed the hood shut and it fired right up. Loose connection or bad module somewhere?
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 19:00   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sounds more like a loose connection. Can you hear the power relay click when it doesn't want to start?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18   #9 (permalink)

Didn't listen for the power relay. I wiggled the key last time this happened and it started. I'm leaning toward anti theft or switch now.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator