Oil Change Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 15:11   #1 (permalink)

Oil Change Help

Sorry to ask this question, I feel like such a newb, but I am new to this forum and I have never changed the oil in my moms explorer.

My mom has a 2002 Ford Explorer V8 with 4-wheel drive. It is almost time, well actually it is time for an oil change. I am in my schools auto-tech class and have become a self proclaimed master at changing oil. My mom is willing to let me start working on her car, and mine, starting off with the little things first, like oil changes.

My question is: what tools do you need specifically to change the oil on her explorer? (ie. the drain plug socket size, and anything specific to her car)

Thanks
TylerB iZz iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Oil Change Help

Most of the drain plugs are 13mm. The oil filter is removed as most other cars.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:18   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much, I am excited to start working on the family cars :)
TylerB iZz iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 15:47   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd suggest you get a Haynes or Chilton manual for any vehicle you work on to learn how it's done.
Old 11-24-2009, 14:44   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB iZz iLL View Post
My question is: what tools do you need specifically to change the oil on her explorer? (ie. the drain plug socket size, and anything specific to her car)
Thanks
A 13mm should work as mentioned. Otherwise, make sure you have a pan that can hold at least two gallons to catch the old oil unless you plan to use the school's shop and equipment. I find it best to change the oil 10-20 minutes after the vehicle has been turned off. This way, it won't burn your hands as bad (if at all) and the oil is still warm enough to flow out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB iZz iLL View Post
...well actually it is time for an oil change. I have become a self proclaimed master at changing oil. My mom is willing to let me start working on her car, and mine, starting off with the little things first, like oil changes.
Just make sure when you change your oil, make sure it's done in the back seat and, most importantly, make sure mom doesn't find out what oil you're really changing. At least it can be a good cover up. Worked well for me in HS!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 14:09   #6 (permalink)

Certainly is a great place to start! Progression is the rule....as you become more confident in your abilities you can graduate to changing the trans fluid (get the manual for that one though as mentioned above there's a trick to that one), differential fluids, transfer case fluid, etc. Maybe start a simple little cheat inspection sheet for your mom's Explorer of things you have checked IE: tire pressure, fluid levels, lighting,
dean63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator