one time tranmission warning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26   #1 (permalink)

one time tranmission warning

2002 XLT V8 with 162,000 miles and 58,000 miles on Ford rebuilt transmission. Had a Ford shop do a tranmission flush etc after 30,000 miles on the rebuilt. One afternoon last week I got flashing O/D warning on start up. I think it was shifting somewhat erratically when I drove straight to local mechanic for a scan: PO733 incorrect 3rd gear ratio. He did not erase the codes or the warning. Since then with 4 or 5 successive start ups and short trips I get no flashing O/D and transmission seems to shift OK. I'm hoping that it was just an electronic hiccup. I don't want to spend another $3,000+ on another tranmission job on this SVU. Ideas?
NCVinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: one time tranmission warning

I believe it's just a communication problem, or the wiring harness to the trans might have a wire with a broken or worn casing causing a short, and hence the odd warning light. For it to flash the same code however might mean it's sensor related.

In other cases (mostly with Dodge products) of engines of similar years, the IAC, or TPS can cause a transmission to shift erratically. Both sensors, the Idle air control and throttle position sensor are found on the throttle body. Both are about $50 or less, so shop around, stay away from dealer parts as they'll be $100 each, if not more - I made that mistake.

Another thing is to take it on a 100 mile or so drive, crank the tunes, or whatever, and go. Warm it up for a good half hour, pull over, check the level, and head home. As long as the light doesn't stay on, I wouldn't worry if it only flashes periodically, although I know it can be an annoyance. As vehicles age, some things (mostly emission related) cause the engine/trans light to be on all the time....
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator