PLEASE READ> Had no start-then had new starter installed..NOW start/stall issue!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 16:06   #1 (permalink)

PLEASE READ> Had no start-then had new starter installed..NOW start/stall issue!!!!

Originally, had a loud clicking when trying to start...jumped it..no luck, brought to dealer said i needed a new starter. They replaced the starter, i picked it up. after stopping at the store, i come out, IT WONT START! nothing no sound no click nothing. THEN, it starts and stalls a cpl times. I bring it BACK to dealer. While I am here I get it started at one point and the rpms rev up a little on their own without me even touching the gas!...they tell me "You need a idol air control valve"... They install new one. I take truck again... AGAIN, stop at gym, it starts and stalls!!!! WTF??!!!!!!
I find it ODD that this crap is ahappenign AFTER I take it in adn have a starter replaced...all I orig had was a loud clicking with no start. Pelase help if any ideas. ty!
explorerchic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 06:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: PLEASE READ> Had no start-then had new starter installed..NOW start/stall issue!!

Sounds like the dealer went down the right path. IAC's will usually go bad like the way you described - varying RPM's & Stalling. A couple thoughs I have - What is the battery condition? I would hope the dealer checked the battery out?? I would also check fuel pressure to make sure it's within spec. Lastly, I'd have a look at the throttle body to make sure its clean and not full of crap. I would think the dealer would have checked this to, but never ASSume anything.
Corky
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17   #3 (permalink)
Thing 1

Re: PLEASE READ> Had no start-then had new starter installed..NOW start/stall issue!!

I would also go back to the beginning. A loose power cable on the starter could contirbute to all of these. You could also have a bad ground from the very begining that is giving all of these symptoms.

I also agree with CORKY on the battery. Have someone test it. It should be about 13.5 volts when the car is running and the headlights and heater running.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 17:17   #4 (permalink)

WELL....now the dealer says they recalibrated the PCM with the newest update and it is back to ZERO. WTF does that mean, and doesntthat just leave us in the dark toi what the problem was/is? HE said after they did that they drove it and the rpms still reved etc when he was driving!!!??!! I NEVER had this problem until they installed the starter!
explorerchic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator