Rattling sound, loss of power/acceleration? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 19:47   #1 (permalink)

Rattling sound, loss of power/acceleration?

My 2002 Ford Explorer started losing acceleration/power suddenly while going down the road. It struggled to climb hills, and there was a loss in about 90% of its power even with the gas pedal pressed to the floor. I turned off my vehicle, waited a couple of hours, and it ran fine. The next day, after driving for about an hour, it did the same thing again. Once I parked it, I tried to crank it up again and it will only start up for about 5 seconds and then slowly sputter and die.

Before all of this happened, I ran out of gas TWICE in a period of 2 weeks. It's possible that a very small amount of water may have been in my fuel can that i used to fuel-up my car, but I highly doubt it. A local mechanic also told me that he has had to repair 6 cars in the past week that were getting gas from the same station that i use, and he says there was water in their gas and all the cars needed new fuel pumps.

Since replacing a new fuel pump is 500 dollars, I'm really wondering if there is a cheaper solution I can try. Maybe draining my tank, or cleaning my fuel lines or my filter? Perhaps adding some sort of additive to my tank or filling it up with new gas and try running all the gas through my engine?

EDIT: I just put 5 gallons of new gas in my tank, and ran my vehicle for about 5 minutes to try and cycle some gas through. I could hear a distinct rattling sound that sounded like it was coming from under the drivers floorboard. I've been hearing this rattle for the past couple days, and when I opened my hood I noticed my catalytic converter was red hot. This could have been from me revving the engine, but the rattling sound also sounded like it came from near the catalytic converter also. Could a bad catalytic converter be causing my power and acceleration issues?
huckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Rattling sound, loss of power/acceleration?

That's VERY possible. I would think the cats need replacing instead of the pump. A muffler shop usually has a pretty good price for them. Check Rockauto for them also.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

^ x 2 Sounds like they are breaking up / falling apart inside .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32   #4 (permalink)

Yes. Of course. Listen for a rattling sound that may only be audible when the car is idling. The core of a catalytic converter can break apart, causing this rattling. Tap the catalytic converter gently with a rubber mallet and listen for a rattling noise if you have been hearing noises as a symptom. Rattling may be a sign that the core is broken. Take your vehicle to a mechanic and get replaced the catalytic converter.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator